Thoughts on Fireline

Hi all...I had Fireline as my first spool of braid (6lb). That got totally fluffy over a period of time - but it was a long time. I was happy with it. I upgraded to this Rovex stuff I use now - which has had many wind knots and the like, to the point after 2 months I'm down to around 40 metres of the stuff.Yet, now at tackleshops I'm seeing Fireline in the discount bin, and have heard some bad reviews.Anyone had any major dramas on the 6lb? Or can suggest another cheap option (under say 40 bucks)?? One of the benefits of Fireline is paying around 20 bucks a spool from Kmart of Big W B) Cheers

Fireline isn't a true braid, it's a fused gelspun line. It's coarse and wiry. It loses it's colour and it tends to fluff up.Having said this, most braid users I know cut their teeth on Fireline. It's cheap, it's effective, it does the job, and I know plenty of people still using it.Sure if you have plenty of bucks in your pocket there are much more supple braided lines out there which perform much better than fireline, but for anyone on a budget and just looking for a line to do the job, I don't think you can go past Fireline.If you find it in the bargain bin..........so much the better!

It is good value for money. I have some on my whiting rod that has seen maybe four years service. It has been end to ended once, and I reckon is now reaching the end of it's life. Sure it gets fluffy and pale in colour, but it still works reasonably well. I run TD Sensor on my good outfits and have been very happy with that. But then again it is about 4 times the price :S . Have also found the Tuffline to be good too, but have only been using it for a few months (on my wifes rod).

ive used it on whiting lines before..its ok for that kind of fishing, and ive used it on an abu7000 for snapper in the boat.works ok as well.then i tried it on the alvey and the rocks.... TOTALLY CRAP...like braid in general, it just not built or designed for rocks in mind.i once spooled the alvey wwith 600mtrs of EXPENSIVE stuff, and when i got home from the first trip with it, i stripped it all off and threw it in the bin.

MarsOne wrote:

I should probably mention - it would be going on a light plastics outfit - used for chasing bream, trout, redfin and the like.

should be fine.. but there is only one person it has to please, and thats yourself.ive bought name brand line, expennsive line, and everything in bewteen.im using 7 doller line for the alvey, but its changed every 4 weeks.

Mate ill be honest. I run 2 different types of braid on my soft plastic combos. First being a brand called Nitlon. Now I have 2 spools of nitlon. One in yellow 12lb on my whiting rig, fantastic stuff no problems at all. Next I have 4 lb on one of my soft plastic combos. It is the blue one and not too bad. Seems to have weak spots in the line at times. Now I do run TD Sensor on my Fireblood and I have never had problems with it. Fantastic braid and I would highly recommend it. Problem you have is $40 for line or $90 for line. Once again its your choice but i know which i will choose in future :)

i would have to say i have used a stack of different braids over the past few years, i do like my fireline 3-4 lb crystal.. BUT by far the best braid to date is "Unitika braid" super thin for its poundage very few air knots and when you do get one they just pull out. i have it on a 2500 luvias, seriously you can cast 30% further with this compared to fireline. I have had this stuff on the reel for over 9 months and has seen its way through a lot of fishing, two comps. tho i'm not sure how much it costs, it was given to me. Or who sells it. at a punt i'd say sfs will have it.

My only problem with fireline is how it wraps around the bottom of my spools when takin up the slack after lettin a plastic sink or when beggining my retrieve with a HB. Not sure why this happens as im using stellas and sustains which are pretty decent reels maybe its becuse they are only 1000 models or maybe its just the fireline im not sure, But when ive changed over to a true braid the problem dissapears???? Not sure why i cant work it out either. But yeah mate fireline is great stuff but if i were you id spend and extra 10 bucks and go with nitlon or power pro, much better than fireline IMO.

Great Topic guys B) I am watching this with interest being a new convert to braid on my soft plastic and hard body reels which for the moment are only cheapies :blush: But i have had them spooled at the anglers choice i cant remember the braid but it was reccomended to me and i haven't had any problems with it bar a few wind knots, and these are mostly from being not vigilant enough on the spool :dry: When i get a better reel i will be looking to spool it with a bit more expensive braid so keep the comparisons coming :)

fireline is ok if you don't need to cast it, i use suffix in the lighter classes under 10lb, desent cost much more than frieline if you get it spooled in your local tackle shop rather than buying it in little packs which will always cost more.would steer clear of that penn power braid though it's the worst line i've ever used. ;) cheers wes

wes80 wrote:

i use suffix in the lighter classes under 10lb,

Interesting comment Wes. Are there various types in that range? I ask because I used some of that stuff, all be it in 15lb, and found it to be the worst stuff. It was wirey, had far too much memory and was almost impossible to tie good knots in.Admittedly, this was around 4 years ago and there may have been an improvement in the stuff over that time or the two braids we were using may not have been the same type :dry:

forgot to mention, reguarding wind knots i cant say i have ever had one of these using fireline and ive always had fireline on a couple of my reels at any time due to the cost factor. Wind knots will always happen when using very light true braid and very light lures, but after a while you soon get used to picking them out quickely and properly. But this can be extremely frustrating especially when fishin a comp and throwin a wind knot when you are onto a school, one of the reasons why havin 3 or 4 set ups ready is so handy as well, stick the knotted set up in the holder and grab another thats rigged up and ready to go and pick the knot out on the other when the bite slows or when moving in between spots.

I have to agree with the earlier posts, fireline is a good cheaper braid for lighter stuff. Have always used it on my whiting gear, and never had much trouble with knots. It does fade and look a bit ratty after a while, but is good value! I think the old man uses heaver pound fireline on his snapper rod and is pretty happy with it as well. I have just bought 6lb spiderwire braid that is brilliant, and casts a mile. Can`t remember exactly what its called, will have to try and find the box!!!

coonta kinta wrote:

wes80 wrote:

i use suffix in the lighter classes under 10lb,

Interesting comment Wes. Are there various types in that range? I ask because I used some of that stuff, all be it in 15lb, and found it to be the worst stuff. It was wirey, had far too much memory and was almost impossible to tie good knots in.Admittedly, this was around 4 years ago and there may have been an improvement in the stuff over that time or the two braids we were using may not have been the same type :dry:
hi KC, i think there may be a couple of different types? i just use the stock standard stuff in 6-8-10lb, your spot on it is a bit wirey and does have memory but that only lasts a couple of outings before it becomes reasonably soft and very easy to tie knots.i can't really comment on the heavier stuff as i use finns but i'de imagine it would soften after a few uses?cheers wes
fishnuts wrote:

I hate fireline in lighter poundage but have used it in 20lb and found it useable. I only use Super PE for all my lighter gear and have never had a problem with it. Great stuff and not as dear as some others.Cheers Darren

I mainly use super pe for my breamming gear and have been pretty stoked with it to date. Reasonably priced and just good all round braid; casts well, ties reasonable knots, pretty supple and despite the fact that it looses its colour very quickly (last time i spooled up a couple reels was about 3 weeks ago, daily sessions with each reel since has seen significant colour loss) it doesnt seem to loose its strength. Unitika is awesome. Im unsure of the exact type (i think it was their 'light jigging' 8lb) but my brother had a spool a while ago that he got off of someone and in 8lb it was thinner than super pe in 6. He would have honestly had it on that reel for 8 or so months fishing reguarly (at least 3 times a week) and it was great. Strong as and casted really well. Its always good to support local shops and site sponsors etc, but if you cant find someone that stocks it locally then i know an online store that stocks unitika braid. Pm me.

might actually add here that after posting that it started to get to me about how much the line has actually faded... i havent had the braid snap on bust offs in clear water (i.e apart from being rubbed off - pun intended) but thought that i would test the strength of the braid at date. snapped in my hands pretty easilly. tried again, same thing. stripped it down to fresher braid deeper in the spool and cut my hand...this braid is not made to last. would have barely been 3 weeks ago that i spooled 2 reels up with this. i fish daily and this would have probably gotten 2 hrs use each day conservitively. as i said i havent been busted because of this loss of strength as of yet but the braid isnt getting any stronger....dont think il be spooling up with it again. stripping it off my reels as we speak, its the first that ive had an issue with it, but not the first time ive heard of this happening. ironic that my previous post praises it haha

At present i have 2 dzen different braids from cheap to expensive..in the fireline i use crystal with good results on the bream,the 6lb super pe braided dyneema line is my personal fav . Stren micrcofuse 2lb no problems with windknotts and under 40 bucks is another worth trying...also using 6lb finns on lightsnapper setup,had this line on about 2 years without any probs.the theory don,t fix something that isn't broke is good.but trying something different is probably why you started using fireline.

Mars I have been using Sunline Super PE far approx 9-12 months now and can't recommend it highly enough.I could count the wind knots I have had on two hands and it just slips out with minimal effort everytime, never had to cut it and it's never snapped on me. Some of them you think you have no chance but it amazes me everytime by slipping out.The advantage of this stuff for me when I did my research on it was it comes on a 300m spool for $70. I saw that as basically 2 spools for $35 when I was spending around $50-$60 per spool of 125 - 150yards before finding it.I still have over a half a spool left and the stuff on the reel is still going strong. I have started to notice the colour fading a bit now but it's taken a loooong time. Hasn't fluffed up either.I have no problems recommending it and I will be going straight back for more next time. Posted Image

super300.JPG

Gday Mars,I have always been a fan of nitlon after first trying it. It has stayed strong, barely ever fluffed up and never lost much color but I always strip a few metres off after it does start to lose its color. It comes in a yellow or dark blue. Have used both and prefer the yellow for the visibility. Also have used this in 4,6,8, and 15 pound and never had a problem. With saying this I have used a few different braids like fireline, rapala squidgey braid, finns and bass hard. Too me not much compares to it for price and quality. Also the sponsor store Salisbury dive and tackle world stock it.Cheers