Favourite fishing moment

Just a bit of a conversation starter. What is your favourite or most memorable fishing moment. Is it being taken out fishing with dad/grandad or watching son or daughter catching first fish. Catching your pb or first fish????????????

Most memorable is definately catching an olive sea snake on a cockle in the marina at robe. It was a real quiet night and that snake sure got shit moving. Favourite moments are plenty and to hard to single 1 out. Many with mates and many with kids, lets hope theres many more to come. Like this post VB ;)

mine would have to be taking my eldest daughter for her first fish when she was 5....i stopped for a stop sigh, on a hill, and the cop hiding said i didnt stop... he had the ticket book out, and my lass said " hello" he looked in the back, and said hello miss...where are you going...my girl said we were going fishing... so he said well you better get on your way then...NO TICKET...yeeehaaaaaaaaaaa.gets to the beach, on the beach itself, baits her up with a cockle, and casts her in... gave her the rod, and 10 secs later... dad ive got a fish...." ok hun.... wind it in then"she wound in for 6 ft, then said that was too slow, so she turns and runs up the beach dragging the line out of the water... cept when she reached the wall, she trned and ran back down... knotting everything up in the seaweed....great.and the kicker? she hooked and landed a 36cm king george whiting on that very cast....damn near bought a tear to my eye.im a big softy

Guest shagging

As a young lad i used too watch the weather report every night during summer as i new if it was under 15 knots it would be a good chance my grandfather and grandmother were going to head of to granit island (victor harbour a family tradition since my grandfather arrived in australia in 68 every weekend he would drag the family to victor in the fiat 500 lol what a squeeze).Back to the story! i would eagerly await the phone call after 630 at night, to say were going fishing!, even on a school day lol, if i had not heard the phone ring by 730 i would sneak in a call to my grandfather just enquiring how he was? in a cheeky mannor, and sometimes he would say you got school tommorow so "No" he laughed and said pick you up at 600 in the morning.6 on the dot were off! grandfather singing all the way! why grandma would be slapping him in the back of the head for perving or speeding lol.When we arrived at victor we never waited for the train! but grandma did! plus she could sneak in a few smokes while grandpa was not around lol we walked and chatted the hole way there as my grandfather had the best stories to tell all the time.we soon set up around 5 rods two for squiding 3 for whatever came along!(and back then you could get a bucket full of anything" once landing 5 kilo flathead and plenty of big squid).As the day progressed fish of all sorts ie strong fish whiting cat fish jackets cods of all different looks you name it! and the whole time im asking what time are we going? cos i dont want to leave, sometimes if im having a slow day my grandfather gave me his rod and a fish was always on the end of it giving me credit for the catch lol all we did was fish and talk as my grandmother complained it was too hot lol (she got told to stop being an old bag many times lol).That time of the day came along and we were on the train (grandfather used to always spot the good looking girls and point them out for me ha ha).the hole way home same thing singing and talking.The most special memories i will always cherish as he was my idol and friend that i adored,yep i was the luckiest kid in the world when with him! thats why i love fishing so much as now he is gone! and he is always with me when im fishing.Those were my best fishing stories! :)

Guest shagging
vb4me wrote:

Just a bit of a conversation starter. What is your favourite or most memorable fishing moment. Is it being taken out fishing with dad/grandad or watching son or daughter catching first fish. Catching your pb or first fish????????????

Great idea for a thread mate Karma your way! :)
shagging wrote:

vb4me wrote:

Great idea for a thread mate Karma your way! :)
Cheers Shaggin. :) But youve taken me outta the 69 club :angry::lol::lol:

i've had many good times on the water from my first fish being a nice KG whiting from the tumby bay jetty, on my 12 dollar kids rod from kmart- you know the one its a 2 piece as flimsy as hell, and thinking i was gonna be pulled over the side, i laugh at that now i was such a sook as a kid! to hauling in a blue morwong (i nearly wrote marlin oops) on my $16 silstar combo that i saved all my coins for (was only 7 or 8) through to most recently pumping clickers (for bait obviously) and bringing home a good feed of yellowfin whiting and watching the young lad devour them i was pretty chuffed its a good feeling being a "self sufficient" (not costing a cent for bait or fuel) fishing trip and seeing you family really enjoy itgood thread VB

Best memories would have to be the times the family went over to KI for holidays to mums parents and I the times spent out in the boat with my Grandfather(RIP) and Father.More recently and one I will cherrish was going fishing for the first time again in about 15 years with family and my 3 year old daughter and her catching and pulling in two legal size whitting while evryone else got nothing.

Guest shagging
pescados wrote:
vb4me wrote: :)
Cheers Shaggin. :) But youve taken me outta the 69 club :angry::lol::lol:He must have thought you could do with a rest :lol::lol:;)lmao! very dirty mind hahahaha!

I would have to say the first time I saw a Murray Cod's head break the surface - awesome sight!! I'll never forget it...And seeing a mate finally land a big Mulloway on his third trip over to Yalata having seen everyone else in our group land one on previous trips....

......seeing a bloke showing his young lad how to get a leather jacket off the hook......lad was holding the fish while dad was twisting the hook..........fish turned in juniors hand,impaling his palm,dad gets the quinella of a size 4 longshank in his palm,and a chunk out of his index finger from leatheries dentures.......PMSL :laugh: ......nice "day shirt" Ranger......and evening sandals...... :kiss:

I fishing on the old gal Falie I hooked onto a samson that I thought must of been 100lbs .The fight was taking for ever when finally a pair of samson appear on the surface.The decky screams "you've got a double header".I think to myself i couldn't I've only one set of hooks on.It turns out I've been fighting 2 samson and the guy on the other side of the ship for the last half an hour.He was oblivious to this as he had drank most of the beer from the keg that day and had been fatigued from the fight.It was only when I yelled out to him that he was over to claim his fish and tell me he had given up and was waiting for the line to break.That same day I hooked 2 barracuda which were a metre in length and apon landing them thought how can I have two I haven't got two sets of hooks on.The barracuda had swallowed the snapper lead which had turned side on its mouth.It turned out I was on the second to last voyage apon the Falie ,the last trip being Rodney Foxs where the shaft was bent and while on the slipway at the Port they discovered how thin the metal in the hull was.It was the best trip I've been on,slow very slow but what a great fishing platform with 20 other fishos.

Johnny Rotten wrote:

......seeing a bloke showing his young lad how to get a leather jacket off the hook......lad was holding the fish while dad was twisting the hook..........fish turned in juniors hand,impaling his palm,dad gets the quinella of a size 4 longshank in his palm,and a chunk out of his index finger from leatheries dentures.......PMSL :laugh: ......nice "day shirt" Ranger......and evening sandals...... :kiss:

HA HA HA!! That's a classic.... poor young lad though....

my favourite fishing moment that sticks in my mind is my first fish of any type captured on lure.Posted ImageWino from FishSA had a totness thread about redfin and I copied the tackle used to a tee. I can still remember the thrill of the capture as the S/P sailed perfectly through the air and landed exactly where I had planned. (to the right of the branches in the pic)Rarely use bait now, and still get a thrill out of every lure caught fish :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Guest shagging
Rick wrote:

my favourite fishing moment that sticks in my mind is my first fish of any type captured on lure.Posted ImageWino from FishSA had a totness thread about redfin and I copied the tackle used to a tee. I can still remember the thrill of the capture as the S/P sailed perfectly through the air and landed exactly where I had planned. (to the right of the branches in the pic)Rarely use bait now, and still get a thrill out of every lure caught fish :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not a bad pick! didnt no they had colour photos in your day rick! :laugh::laugh:
Softy wrote:

It would be between 2 fish....1. The snapper i caught at whyalla and Del having to listen to me stirr him up for the rest of the week long trip2. The 51cm Rainbow the other week, that was a beautiful fish!!! and Del is still having nightmares about it... :lol:

the best memory?? any fishing trip with out softy.... the worse??? any trip i have to bring him home..but in serious.. many salmon sessions stand out big sambos from the west coast beaches, a good charter session catching snapper, or..the first road trip i took softy back to my home land and showed him what salt water fishing is about. whiting gar fish tommies sweep trevally leather jackets groper catching what we required for food and returning home in half an hour.. showing him over the areas he had heard me talk about for so long and having the fishing come to the party!would go down as one of the best trips in my mind :)ANY TRIP I OUT FISH THAT BASTARD OF A BEST MATE!!!!!! ahem...:P

Mine is catching not only my 1st mulloway but it being legal aswell.... I was around 14 15 and with a group of dads mates we headed out to salt creek and Tea Crossing i was so excitied it took me all my effort to bring in this fish plus the grapnel sinker :P it ended up going on 21 lbs and one very big smile on my face havent been back since yet! but since i have the new truck that will be a thing of the past and will b visting the area alot more now :P only have a hard copy of the pic and dont have a scanner to show you and besides i was a fat kid back then and not going back there hahaha BRayden

For me there are many, but one that comes to mind would be the day I knocked off work at 5.15, headed home and grabbed the boat, and launched at Glenelg about 6.Got to the glenelg tyre reef, baited up first rod and dropped over and immediatley went to bait up a spare rod, but didnt get the chance to as a Red hammered the first one straight away. Cranked that 1 in, dropped the second line over and whammo again :ohmy: :laugh:B) Was back home by 730pm with two Snapps between 8 and 10 Kilo :woohoo:

What I remember most is yabbying with my Dad the best times of my life ;) Year after year the banks of the river at Loxton would be breached and water was as far as you could see. You could catch yabbies using just about any method... Nets, Strings with pieces of meat on the end ... yep those wre the days. :cheer: :cheer: Now I have a Twelve year old son of my own that is yet to see a High river let alone one that breaks the banks :(:( Hopefully soon I might be able to show him and the other two, the murray as it is supposed to be ... flooding every year or so and once again, the plagues of yabbies tha come with it. ;)

The kids success off course, but personally............Heading out in a leaking ten foot bondwood boat, forgot the oars had to use sticks. Much to the amusement of some gun fishos in their extravagant craft. We then proceeded to absolutely cane them. They shortly departed and so did their condescending smirks.

Highfly wrote:

Heading out in a leaking ten foot bondwood boat, forgot the oars had to use sticks. Much to the amusement of some gun fishos in their extravagant craft. We then proceeded to absolutely cane them. They shortly departed and so did their condescending smirks.

Classic :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

3 Moments for me.....1,Sat on Mum & Dad's little cabin cruiser on the River Ouse in the UK.Messing about with a rod I had no idea how to use (was about 10)Mum had roast beef on the go so I chucked a huge chunk on the hook and plonked this line in - 2 seconds later a huge Redfin was on the end! Scared the crap out of me! :laugh: 2,Sat in a tiny polystyrene dingy on a small Scottish Loch with my Dad & Uncle - I was around 12.We had heard from the local farmer there was a giant Pike in there.Spent all day pulling in eels/listening to some great banter but no pike.My first big Snapper,20lb+.Took ages to get him in - expertly coached and guided by my great mentor.The bloody fish did not want to come up!

I didnt realise how hard it was to narrow favourite moments down to just a few :ohmy: .Best I can do is Being shown how to yabby as a kid by my uncle and the inevitable garlic yabby cook up at the end.Catching my first snapper with my bro in law Scaley Tom.Seeing Snappermania beat my pb rock snapper with him doin all the work.And also watchin SandyWhiting catch her 1st large snapper from a boat. Just tryin to calm her down enough to bring the fish in was a challenge on its own :laugh::laugh: