Polarised Sunnies

I was lucky enough to have the missus go into anglers choice and ask the guys in there about sunnies for me for christmas, She ended up getting some ugly fish sunnies for around 120 i think and they are ideal and i love them! since i got them i haven't worn my 180 dollar von zippers she got me the year before!But if thats outta your budget any polarised sunnies should do

Spog777 - it's the old mantra, mate - "You get what you pay for".I'm currently using Spotters "Coyote", which I have been more than happy with (even as all-round general use glasses). I previously had Mako's (until an unfortunate accident!), which were fine, but not as robust as the Spotters. I have also heard that "Fuglies" are supposed to be good performers and good value (and they float!).Cheersarcherfish B)http://www.spotters.com.au/http://www.makoeyewear.com.au/http://www.fuglies.com.au/

I know starlo keeps going on about his maui jims ??? think it was that anyway..They were selling the FISH brand wire frame polaroids that retail for $129 on some clearance site yesterday.. only lasted 24 hours though. Should have got some for myself as now you have me looking at $200 + sunnies ! Summit Spotters have my eye at the moment ! Problem is finding someone that stocks them in the colours you want

jagger wrote:

They were selling the FISH brand wire frame polaroids that retail for $129 on some clearance site yesterday.. only lasted 24 hours though.

Forgot the main bit !! they were pumping them out for $20 !!!Just checked the work fishing thread that was talking about them...http://www.oo.com.au/Fish-Polarised-Sunglasses_C899.cfm$29.95 !!! delivery is $7.95 making them $37.90..I by now means think they would be upto the standard of some of the better brands that invest big bucks in research, but for an entry level pair... not too bad !I've been burnt before with buying cheaper sunnies.. warped vision being one of the probelms. I buy a pair to wear all the time so don't mind paying the extra money for something I can drive in safeftly.

One of the questions that was raised before...Spotters have a great reputation for being very scratch resistant. I remember Paul Worselington (spelling??) of Ifish fame grabbing his car keys and taking to a pair to demonstrate. That's my main reason for replacing sunnies in that they are scratched beyond belief by the time I get a new pair. For me... if I can get a pair that would outlast another due to it's scratch resistance then it's value for money instead of going through a pair a year.So the question is... was it a particular pair or are they all very scratch resistant??

As mentioned before.. The cheaper ones I have picked up warped my vision a bit. Made it impossible for me to read greens when putting playing golf and never felt comfortable driving with them in case I didn't pick something up.There are some bargains out there though. I have found a big difference in what they cut out as well being Polaroids, noticeably when in streams trying to pick out trout. Some are great, others are useless even when labelled Polaroids!

Have been living in my servo polaroids for years, like lipstix said at $30 a pair it does matter if they get scratched.I had a bad run of good sunnies going over board.Seem to be able to spot most things through the water before other guys with more pricier sunnies,Most polycarb lenz sunnies are the same so why pay more than $30 a pair,

I got sick of wearing cheap stuff, and requiring prescription sunnies as well, I was lucky enouh to have my wife (who works for RXsafety who make prescription glases for optometrists) buy a pair of Ugly fish Acetate frames at cost and then have Carl Zeiss do some Ice blue lenses. My wife knowing I love snapper fishing then got the Words "Big Reds" etched in the left hand side.So I know have prescription Ugly fish glasses that would cost hundreds but had made at cost.These Zeiss lenses are the clearest and best poloarised glasses I have ever worn. :laugh::angry: :angry:Because of the colour of the lenses theyre are fantastic for oecean fishing but prolly not the best for Trout fishing but they get me by.

You have a good point there.. The currnet pair I have aren't fantasitc in the creeks due to the over hanging trees etc but great in full sunlight out in the boat. Would be nice to have a pair specifically for each purpose !I know plenty of golfing buddies that have "golf polaroids", helps them see the white ball against white clouds on overcast days

Whilst looking at what sunnies I was going to invest my hard earned cash in I found a supplier called Smiths Optics in the states - These guys are massive. These are like the new Oakleys.Heres the link to Smiths Polarized fishing glasses.http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Sunglasses/Polarized+Fishing/They do skiing glasses, goggles etc, but the best part about this site is it gives you a LIST OF lens colours to compare and describes what purposes each colour suits best.Heres the link:http://www.smithoptics.com/technology/#/Sunglass+Technology/Lens+Options/view/Smiths also do a pair of glasses called interlock in which you can buy two different colour lenses and therefore you only need the one pair of glasses to use for both trout and ocean. Just swap lenses.heres the link to interlock.http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Sunglasses/Interlock/These are seriously hot glasses and aint cheap, but man if your want good glasses these are for you.

I dont think its the colour so much but how the lens is made!!have a look at the 2nd link I provided earlier, and you will see that for your application any of the lenses marked as Bright would be best for open ocean fishing.:):):).I guess the reason that people often choose a low light lense for trout fishing is because you are often doing it in winter when its cold and raining and overcast.

urhookedfish wrote:

I dont think its the colour so much but how the lens is made!!have a look at the 2nd link I provided earlier, and you will see that for your application any of the lenses marked as Bright would be best for open ocean fishing.:):):).I guess the reason that people often choose a low light lense for trout fishing is because you are often doing it in winter when its cold and raining and overcast.

Its not so much the colour but how much VLT (Visisble Light transmission) that the lens has. It seems as if the lower the VLT percentage, the better suited it is to bright environments/uses.the more VLT or hight the VLT number then there is more light passing through the lense and is better in overcast dark conditions.

We have a 4 Day Sale on starting Thursday 26th August. (Catalogue is out now if you would like a copy let me know wallaroo@compleatangler.com.au)Advertised in the catalogue are several styles of RAPALA Polarised Fishing Sunglasses for $24.80 a pair. There are assorted styles and lense colours and mirror front lenses.We stock Sunglasses from $19.00 to $300.00 and have a good range.We will also have Spotters on special (not shown in catalogue) Poly Carbonate Lenses, CR Lenses and Glass Lenses. We have a large range of Styles, Colours, and lense types all in stock for you to try on and see what suits you. We are very passionate about selling sunglasses as you only get one pair of eyes.To answer your questions about Spotters scratching:- Poly Carbs will scratch, CR is a better quality but will still scratch but not as bad, Glass Lenses are the best but will scratch if treated badly. Always clean your glasses with glasses cleaner or warm soapy water. If you have salt crystals on them do not clean them with your shirt, wash them in some fresh water. We all wear Spotters (staff & family) and if anyone has seen how some of them are treated and still stand up to the punishment I really don't think you can get much better. Mine (CR Lenses)get heaps of punishment and have some small scratches on them. Next time I will get Glass Lenses, I only went for CR as mine are prescription lenses and i thought they would be better for the lighter weight.If you buy a good pair of sunglasses, try to look after them. Another thing is make sure your household insurance covers them if you loose or damage them. They are also a Tax Deduction if you work outdoors or you have a creative accountant.Spotter Compleat Angler Wallaroo 88232840Moonta 88253400