What reel should i get?

Fair price difference in those reels. I would suggest if you don't mind throwing the extra cash at it then it will be a reel for life if you look after it.What will you mainly be using it for ??I went through this recently and ended up with a Sol 2500 due to the extra line capacity and 7kg of drag it offered as well as other features. Simply put, I can use it for bream, trout through to snapper and castin lures from the beach for salmon. Was great down at Browns recently.If I had more money to spend on it at the time I would have probable gone another model or 2 up in the daiwa range, can't fault them !Very happy with the sol though.

Do yourself a favour and buy a second hand 2500 certate Hyper or a second hand exist 2506 or something like that.Will still cost you 400 or so but will be swearword beginning with S hot!!.If your not keen on the sexy orange of the sol (I am a fan) you could get a caldia kix custom. These things have 7kilo of drag and are basically a sol.http://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-Caldia-KIX-2508-Custom-Spinning-Reel-New-/220662651657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336084db09#ht_1827wt_704But splash the cash and go for thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-Certate-Hyper-Custom-2508-Spinning-Reel-Excellent-/270630412604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f02d4613c#ht_6235wt_890

Without following the crowd.... I have a SOL 2000 and am very pleased with it.That said, I have had a Shimano Exage 2500 for a few years now and even after giving it a fair bit of punishment without a huge amount of TLC it is still smooth, strong and in great order.I recently got a Stradic 3000. It looks & feels great, it takes more line than the SOL 2000 (though it is smaller, but heavier), I'm yet to take it out for a field test yet though.Q: Which one's my favourite without considering the price?A: SOL.Cheers.

rangfish wrote:

Hmmmm i am leaning towards a Diawa Sol here. B) What are the luvias Reels Like?

Sols arnt th BEST reels youve mentioned.. just seems a very well liked reel in a good price range ;)The Luvias.. hmmm next time im out with UHF.. he may find himself swimming... that luvias would be a nice match to my G Loomis..

Mate ive run a shimano sedona 2500 for the past 4 years on anything from bream trout, big cod right thru to 5kg snaps and she's copped a hammering. Serviced it last weekend and everything is still ticking. Now this real is by no means expensive ( $99 bucks when the missus got it for me) and has served me well but i recently bought a Daiwa Heartland 3000. Haven't used it yet (bloody weather) but it feels bloody nice in the hand and i got it for 100 bucks less than retail so ive lashed out.My point is i ran a "nice reel" for a long time but ive decided to run a " Great reel" for half a life time and thats what you get if u look after these more expensive reels, durability. And if ur gonna use it as an allrounder then i can can plenty of use.Anyway just my 2 bobs worthOS B)

Any kind of certate would be awesome, I picked up a second hand certate 1500 for $300 bucks but you will need to look around, or if buying new, obviously spend substantially more.I've got a certate hyper custom 2500R too, 7kg of drag not so much a finesse reel but if mr mully comes along no hassels at all. You're looking around 500 for a second hand model though and closer to 700 for a brand newie B)

Not to hijack a thread, but im looking for a similar reel. How much can a sol/heartland 2500 constantly handle? Im looking at biggish snaps(5kg+), west coast salmon and a barra trip when i save the coin. Would also need to be a whiting and lighter sp reel. I was thinking 3000 would be more the size. Guess im coming from the same angle as Old Salty, this will be a long term reel, so i want to get it right.Hard to get that balance of weight, power and versatility

Having the 2500 sol I looked at the exact same scenario .. versatility across the board. However... You need to look at a ratio of what you are going to be using it for. I certainly wouldn't be using it everyday for snapper fishing but I would for bream, trout and chucking lures around for salmon. It's got the capacity to handle big fish but I still go to another reel for the snapper only sessions. Would hate to loose a 20lb snapper due to the 15.4lb drag failing and damaging the reel after copping a thrashing all day !!If I'm using it for whiting and a snapper jumps on.. fair chance it will handle a bigger fish !At the end of the day 2500 and 3000 both have 7kg of drag and the 3000 series only holds an extra 10 mtrs of line for 20gms more weight.http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=reels&reels=realfour&product=tdsol You really need to some up what it's mainly going to be used for and concenrate on that !

mate i got myself a team daiwwa redback rod and 3000 reel and its sweet the 3000 would easily handle most sized snapper around having caught 5kg reds on it with ease and matched with same rod its a sweet well balanced light set up with heaps of power. so the sol would be a step up from this and 3000 would do everything you want.