Braid to Leader connection

Ever since i changed to sunline 8lb braid 3 out of every 5 bustoffs are at the knot between the leader and my braid. I always use uni to uni knots for the connection with 6 wraps in the leader and 10 wraps in the braid and I use a uni knot to a lure or a swivel generally.My leader is nitlon 8lb or 10lb fluorocarbon. Losing lures to snags is inevitable but I'm sick of having to tie a new leader ALL the time.Any tips Lads? The only thing I can think of is maybe less wraps in the uni knot to my lure/swivel...Cheers

The knots I use are a Double Uni Knot and a Five Turn Surgeons knot and they both seem to do allright, With the Double Uni I always use the same amount of wraps for both the Braid and the Flurocarbon Leaders. It's best to practice these over and over until you are confident that the knots you are tying are good. I use these knots with 4Ib leaders and it's held against some pretty big fish.

My thinking is... And I might be dreamingYou want the breaking strain of your leader/braid knot to be more than your leader to lure clip/swivel knotUsing 10lb leaders and 6lb braid.... I go a 5 turn surgeons, which is close to 100% breaking strain. I then use a simple clinch to swivel, which is around 40%Ends up snapping off at the lure clip every time. Not sure if my theory is correct, but it does work!

One of the things you should check is the diameter of your braid to your leader.If the braid is substantially thinner than your leader it will tend to cut through it more often.To get around that double your braid up in a loop and then tie the double uni-knot from that.Got that tip from here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FkvSZRkaQ

My thinking is... And I might be dreamingYou want the breaking strain of your leader/braid knot to be more than your leader to lure clip/swivel knotUsing 10lb leaders and 6lb braid.... I go a 5 turn surgeons' date=' which is close to 100% breaking strain. I then use a simple clinch to swivel, which is around 40%Ends up snapping off at the lure clip every time. Not sure if my theory is correct, but it does work![/quote']You are correct, the system has little choice but to fail at it's weakest point. If you are running a leader and mainline that are roughly the same breaking strain or if the leader is rated higher than the mainline then it will most likely fail at the leader/mainline connection. The other thing working against you is that the knot that connects your leader to mainline is constantly being run through the rod guides and getting weakened, and the doulble uni is very prone to this.For light line weights(ten pound or less), I have been using the slim beauty knot with great success, it seems less prone to damage from the guides. I also try to run a lighter leader than my mainline, say six pound fluoro with eight pound braid. I always use a simple clinch knot on my lure clip and most times when I have a bust off it's right at that knot (I think it has much more than 40% breaking strain). Make sure you keep checking your leader/mainline knot as you fish because it will get beaten up going through the guides and need to be retied occasionally. Hope that helps, it just adds insult to injury when you lose a good lure to then have to retie you whole rig as well.

Im with Plankton, and like the slim beauty knot for joining leader to braid. I then use a clinched blood knot or uni knot to the lure/swivel.The fact that youve gone to a thin braid might be a bit of your trouble, so maybe the suggestion to double your braid before the knot might be the go??

have u tried another leader brand of fluro, i tried some nitlon a few years ago lost 2 cracking fish on the stuffchanged brands never a problem again, o & i have used the 5 turn surgeons knot for about 5 years now also put a bit of spit on the loose knot before tighting up, nice & slowly.list of fluro leader materials in order of use over the years.berkley vanish 8-10lb (good stuff)nitlon DFC 8lb (never again)berkley vanish 8lb sometimes some 6lb.rio 8lb (preety good)surecatch 8lb. (rubbish)froghair 3 to 8lb excellent stuff hard to get hold of.sufix 6lb jurys still out on this one but not bad so far.seagle 4-10lb good gear.seaguar 4lb excellent.i am currently using leader by line system in the 8lb. & is proving its self to be an excellent product.these leader materials have been used on extending tippets on fly line leaders to throwing HBs & SPs to bream.i still use 15 or 20lb vanish when up the river throwing lures to snag hugging callop has'nt let me down yet.

For the last few years I have been using the FG knot, not the easiest knot to tie but once you get the hang of it it works a treat on all lines classes up to PE6 and 40lb leader, to date its the smallest diameter knot I have tied and with the aggressive action of the egingu style I fish for squid have yet to bust of a jig on PE.06, you should be able to find it on youtube for instructions, bear in mind that there are a few versions of the FG knot but all seem to look the same once tied

useless comment abelama...I know how to tie knots...I have books on knots...I know how to use youtube...I have friends that fish that also know how to tie knots...The benefits of asking a question on here is that you get a good variation of answers and people can answer a very specific question based off their personal experiences. Try typing in my question into youtube and see if you get anything like all of the responses so far.To everyone else thanks heaps again for your responses, bloody useful info there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,Im very new to this forum and have just been in adelaide for about 3 months studying here. Love fishing so i'm currently looking on where to fish. ^^ Anyway the knot i use to connect braid to leader would be the FG knot. Dont really know what it stands for but for me would be the F**king Good knot. HAHA. This knot is abit tedious to do but with a little practice it becomes simple. The good thing about this knot is that it is very strong. And also never gets tangled with the guides when casting. Anyway heres a video i found on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9XgPsWZaoMore info about the knot you can go to this link:http://goodcatchfishing.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=33Have fun~