Braid or Mono?

I like to use Mono when fishing inshore snapper drops with big baits and livies. I use the Berkley Big game mono as its similar to fluro carbon in that its practically clear or Platypus Lo-Stretch as its almost clear in colour as well.Braid I like to use on all dedicated snapper soft plastic outfits. Im trying to steer clear of really really bright braids, as snapper hit the plastics hard so their is not much need for finess, and no real need to see the line that well in my opinion.I also like to use braid for trout, but I like a natural colour braid that cant be seen too easily by the trout. So I use fireline in green and have found that it has faded fairly quickly to a colour that is pretty stealthy and doesnt spook the trout. I use braid to have a better feel for the lure action and feel any hits straight away, although you could easily get away with running a full spool of flurocarbon for trout no problems and Ive considered doing this but havent tried it as yet.I must also add that I use very long leaders with my braid for that very reason. I think fish are getting more easily spooked these days and if you want to catch big fish then the more stealth you use the better.Brett :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

How about for sharking?I have to get my new TLD25 spooled up shortly' date=' and can't decide between braid or mono. With braid ill get my line on the spool, but mono will be a bit more forgiving if i get dragged over some reef or something.[/quote']im asking myself the same question.. im goiing towards braid as all my other sharking outfits are spooled wit mono and are decent sized reels so fit alot of it on the spools.. inoe id get about 450-500 metres mono on a TLD25 i think and there would be less of a problem then braid.. but dont no till u try i guess.. as for braid or mono. for lures and smaller fish braid all the way, for sharking and bigger stuff mono, in the surf i have one braid and one mono.. i encounter few problems with braid only the occasional birds nest..cheers barbz

After squidding all arvo in the boat yesterday, nust say I preferred the feel of the lure with mono.Couple of reasons....you don't want to set the hook hard and fast like you would with a snapper on a plastic, the extra stretch gently sets the hooks without ripping tenticles off.I also reckon the action of the lure due to the weight would look better from mono than the sharpness of a braid flick.Light weight jags (50mm etc) I would prefer braid though and would run a long leader.Apart from that..braid pretty much all the way unless throwing 40gm slugs all day for salmon then my finger tips thank me for using mono !

Braid is forLure fishing, soft plastics, hard bodies & blades for snapper etcdeep water uglies 50mt plus like kingfish, samsons, nannies etcwhiting fishing braid is great until you drift then mono is the gobig surface fish like 100kg plus tuna is all going back to mono, samefor big kings taken on surface baits.bait fishing for XXL snapper no matter the depth mono & circle hooks all the way.bait fishing in surf= monolure casting salmon= braidmost good reels come with spare spool for a reasoncheersBigAsh

Apart from that..braid pretty much all the way unless throwing 40gm slugs all day for salmon then my finger tips thank me for using mono !

What mono do you use here Jagger? Ive recently put Platypus Lo Stretch on a spool for this purpose. Same thing as you, I was sick of sore fingers on cold days, and also a bit lazy with tying leader knots after a long session casting.