Am I mad or have others done this!!

Ok getting my tax cheque next week .So been looking and thinking back to when I was a young angler .Who would dream about large fish on small/light gear .In the past I never had the money(and when I was married well husbands will understand) now I've been thinking .And please this time I'm not asking for advice, so no one tell me why I shouldn't please and thanks .Have others done this am I mad because I am going for it .I was talked out of it when I bought my current set-up .Ok I am going to buy a 1000 size reel and load it with light braid .Just want that extra little heart thumping thrill to catch a fish on very light line on a small reel .Yes I know I'll get smoked by big fish (well i live in hope of a large fish lol) but you know that added extra thrill lmao.So long winded question have others done this or are doing this ?Or will I be out there all by myself doing light line lure fishing ?

I use a 1000 sized shimano aernos with 2lb mono and try and catch anything I can on it, use a graphite 1-3kg rod too. Hooking even legal bream is a blast and big carp pull even harder so its great fun if you ask me. No reason at all why you shouldn't go ahead with what you want. I'm yet to be really pushed to the limit using something so light but it gets the heart pumping and that's what fishing should be about. :clap: any idea's what reel you're going to get? I love the look of the new aernos but the more expensive shimano's have so many better features. http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/Shimano-Aernos-1000-FA-Fishing-Reel.html one downside of using something with light line is the amount of lures you're going to loose.

I use a 1000 sized shimano aernos with 2lb mono and try and catch anything I can on it' date=' use a graphite 1-3kg rod too. Hooking even legal bream is a blast and big carp pull even harder so its great fun if you ask me. No reason at all why you shouldn't go ahead with what you want. I'm yet to be really pushed to the limit using something so light but it gets the heart pumping and that's what fishing should be about. :clap: any idea's what reel you're going to get? I love the look of the new aernos but the more expensive shimano's have so many better features. http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/Shimano-Aernos-1000-FA-Fishing-Reel.html one downside of using something with light line is the amount of lures you're going to loose.[/quote']Thanks mate thats all I needed to know that others are doing it .As much as I enjoy 6lb braid I wanna go lighter .Wandered down to the shop with 3 letters for a name well walked around the corner truth be told lol.Was looking at a shimano which was $10 cheaper than the one you put up .Guy said there's no reason y I couldn't use 2lb mono said he wouldn't .

I've got some mates who use 1000 sized reels shimano stella I believe and 4lb braid trying to tie knots with line that thin is ridiculously hard. When I first started using 2lb mono tieing on 6lb leader using a double albright knot took me hours no kidding. Most times now if I gotta retie I just use a bloodknot, saves me so much time. Hope you're good with your knots.the aernos I use is the older model different colour and different handle, so its different to the one in the link. the price I paid for mine was about 1/5 of what the new aernos costs.Posted Imagethat gave me 20mins of fun

I've got some mates who use 1000 sized reels shimano stella I believe and 4lb braid trying to tie knots with line that thin is ridiculously hard. When I first started using 2lb mono tieing on 6lb leader using a double albright knot took me hours no kidding. Most times now if I gotta retie I just use a bloodknot' date=' saves me so much time. Hope you're good with your knots.the aernos I use is the older model different colour and different handle, so its different to the one in the link. the price I paid for mine was about 1/5 of what the new aernos costs.[img']http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/ershy/P1747_29-08-11.jpg[/img]that gave me 20mins of fun

that looks very much like the reel I was looking at .

There was one dude landing a fairly large snapper with a Shimano Raider II 1 -4 kg with a Shimano Saros 1000 loaded with about 8 lb Power Pro Braid on one of the episodes of youfishTV out of Arno Bay. From memory everyone on the boat couldn't stop laughing at this dude trying to land the snapper. B) 4THALOVE has one of these reels, not sure what rod he has it on, but it's one of his favorites :fishing:

hmm wonder what you're looking at then? symetre?

Actually now I'm thinking of going for something cheaper and getting a matching rod .This is will be my first small reel with light Braid I can always upgrade the reel :woohoo: And guys I'm thinking 2lb (I understand u can get 1 lb :woohoo: )Braid with 4lb fluoro .Just wanna try this been wanting to for a very long time .John Wayne moment here mans gotta do what a mans gotta do ;)
My son bought a Shimano Revolution TCurve inshore series 2 - 5 kg with a Shimano Nasci 1000' date=' loaded with Suffix 6 lb braid and has had a lot of fun with it, catching squid, throwing poppers around of the beach to catching whiting up to 40 cm. B)[/quote']Moggy I'm not going to use Bait but I am going to use Poppers :boot: Light line small reel and poppers sounds like fun to me :woohoo:

go a stradic ci4 1000 killer little reels and cheaper now to ;) havent caught anything on mine yet... mite take it to Ards and throw out a squid head on a float and test a mully out with it.... 4lb line 4lb leader :D

While I could afford this reel its a wee bit pricy for a first up small reel IMHOhttp://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Shimano-Stradic-Ci4-1000-CI4.aspx?pid=220737#DescriptionBut I do like your thinking :)

nothin better than light tackle lure fishing imo, sure you do lose quite a few good fish but half the time you wouldnt have got the hook up anyways if you werent fishin light.This style of fishing has taught me to fish properly and a small warning it is highly addicvtive haha believe me you should see my lure and rod collection these days haha.

have a reel spooled with 2lb mono, and i team it up with a 1-3kg rod. have only managed some carp so far.. but i snapp off a lot.. think i should up the leader to 4lb.. been running 2lb all way through. 2lb braid probably still snapss at 4lb but the mono is def pretty light to play with!

i'm using a Shimano aspire 1000FA on a G-Loomis DSR820S, the reel comes with 2 spools so loaded up with 2kg and 4kg diawa braid. i intend targeting small the med reds on it this season with plastics.so far have only caught whitting on it, but yesterday got a double header of 45-50cm whitting on it in 2-3mtrs of water and it handled beautifully.my suggestion is to spend that little bit more and get a quality outfit as you need something with a good drag system for light lines. the drag on the Aspire 1000 is smooth as silk :)

I think your MAD! Just wondering what your current setup is Mick? I hope your good a tieing leaders because with the thin stuff its hard to tie a good knot quickly (harder in wind again) and the slightest scuffing means your 2 lb line might be less than 1 lb, remembering some knots will retain only 50% of the lines rating. To me this just means lost lures, lost fishing time and when you loose a fish because you thought 1 more cast before putting on a new leader (good way to get a hookup if its slow) its :c heartbreaking. I stick to 4-6Lb leader tied to 8-12Lb braid

I have a suggestion!Sure go for it, but instead of a 1000 size reel, consider a 2506 instead or even a 2004.They are still both small reels of similar weight and suitable for light line, also with similar line capacities and capable of doing the same job, but instead of having a small spool such as the 1000, a 2506 has a wider and shallow spool, which you will find casts so much better and so much further than a 1000.

I think your MAD! Just wondering what your current setup is Mick? I hope your good a tieing leaders because with the thin stuff its hard to tie a good knot quickly (harder in wind again) and the slightest scuffing means your 2 lb line might be less than 1 lb' date=' remembering some knots will retain only 50% of the lines rating. To me this just means lost lures, lost fishing time and when you loose a fish because you thought 1 more cast before putting on a new leader (good way to get a hookup if its slow) its :c heartbreaking. I stick to 4-6Lb leader tied to 8-12Lb braid[/quote']6lb braid 6lb fluoro shimano sedona 2500fd reel shimano xtreme stick 702 ( i think the rod is)dont forget I was using 6weight fly with 6lb mono .mono was always getting broken off by the big fish .What you may not understand is I WANT THE RUSH ON THE LIGHT LINE !!!I got talked out of it when I swapped from fly to lure now I want that rush !!!Besides I havent landed a large fish on anything since I switched from bait about 6 years back!!
I have a suggestion!Sure go for it' date=' but instead of a 1000 size reel, consider a 2506 instead or even a 2004.They are still both small reels of similar weight and suitable for light line, also with similar line capacities and capable of doing the same job, but instead of having a small spool such as the 1000, a 2506 has a wider and shallow spool, which you will find casts so much better and so much further than a 1000.[/quote']thanks Ranger mate but its more of a list thing (not bucket list lol).i have wanted to fish light since I was a teenager (wanted to use 1 lb back then lol).You know I just want to try it I need to try have to try !!Bit like me with Balfours frog cakes :P cant have them anymore :P
  • 1 month later...