Heya BM54!First thing. Nope, haven't used the SixStar yet! :lol: I read somewhere (I will have a look and see if I can find it) on a government website that to make an Artificial reef, you need to apply in writing to the relevant department (I think DENR have a hand in there somwhere) and pay a $12,500.00 fee which I think (don't quote me though) is non-refundable. Being an application fee only, I also think there are other fees in there somewhere. And the law surrounding Artifical reef's is that they MUST be listed on the public register including GPS co-ordinates. It simply isn't worth the cost to the recreational angler.

As a kid back up in Whyalla' date=' I remember specially built pontoons used to be towed out with car bodies on them, they would be moored at the foreshore in the evenings with a car body and empty in the morning. :dry:[/quote']I always thought that people rented areas of the ocean and errected giant underwater sheds to store those car bodies. I never knew that someone could intentionally spoil a snappers environment by placing an old Holden on their doorstep..LOL :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:And surely those cars storred underwater would be useless a few years later due to severe rust! hahahahaha

New artifical reefs would be going in all the time. Its almost impossible to police.I think its a good thing to spread the fish out over heaps of artificial reefs. Having fish congregate over just a handful of reefs would mean they'd get hammered too hard.I guess most reefs eventually just rust away to nothing as well.

I've always thought the total ban on artificial reefs was not well thought out.Surely if the Government regulated the use of materials that could be used to construct a reef (perhaps tyres or pre-made modules or something) and specified certain large zones where it was fine to create reefs it could only be a good thing?Saves the govvy money since we'll be doing all the hard work and keeps rec/pro anglers happy? Win-win?

Still goes on regularly I'm sure. I remeber seeing somewhere that John Winslety came across a floating fridge out in the gulf one day, complete with a chain on it that had appartently come unstuck :whistle: At least if it's an approved reef, it's "guaranteed" to be free of contaminants and out the way of shipping etc, which is how it should be :)

As a kid back up in Whyalla' date=' I remember specially built pontoons used to be towed out with car bodies on them, they would be moored at the foreshore in the evenings with a car body and empty in the morning. :dry:[/quote']Just a bit suss :huh: :whistle:

Hi all in the phillipines they are actually building artificial reefs out of concrete domes ,the domes have holes in them and are semi locked together, the domes are specially made and taken out and divers assist in placing them in position from the local diving school it is a win win situation the fish get a new reef ,the divers get a new dive spot ,shark fishing there has descimated the population so badly they are actually catching small sharks and releasing them in the enviroment to try to bring them back ,most of this is centred around general santos city on the island of mindanoa the largest in the phillipine group ,i dont see why the government doesnt do something similar instead of dumping there old warships which will eventally rust once the coral and see flora attach itself to these domes the result is almost like a natural reef crispy :)

Hi all in the phillipines they are actually building artificial reefs out of concrete domes ' date='the domes have holes in them and are semi locked together, the domes are specially made and taken out and divers assist in placing them in position from the local diving school it is a win win situation the fish get a new reef ,the divers get a new dive spot ,shark fishing there has descimated the population so badly they are actually catching small sharks and releasing them in the enviroment to try to bring them back ,most of this is centred around general santos city on the island of mindanoa the largest in the phillipine group ,i dont see why the government doesnt do something similar instead of dumping there old warships which will eventally rust once the coral and see flora attach itself to these domes the result is almost like a natural reef crispy :)[/quote']A similar thing has been happening up of the Gold Coast, a couple of months ago whole new artificial reef was put down with specially design blocks. B)
' date='i dont see why the government doesnt do something similar[/quote']Easy - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The government did it in Qld. with no fishing license either B)
That is true Moggy.Similar to WA though, QLD get's mining royalties that SA can only dream about until our state gets the money to build the ports and other infrastructure.TB

My understanding is that these artificial reefs are only "fish aggregation devices"They do not actually help any particular species survive or thrive.It simply makes it easier for recco & pro fisherman to find them, subsequently diminish fish stocks. ;) Cheers, Des