NZ Fur Seals at Murray Mouth!!

Hi All,Just came off one of my Bird Watching sites where the shore birds in the Goolwa area are regularly reported, along with other species.One of the guys on there saw so many Fur Seals in the Mouth and up the Channel that he thought it was worth reporting them on a Bird Watching Site :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Hi all me mum went on one of those oldies boat trips not so long ago and showed me some photos of all of them down there ,apparently it started with only one seal when they were doing some work on the barrages then h told his mates and they told theres and here is what we have now ,if the mouth was a bit deeper maybe a great white could get in that would sort em out easy pickins must say there is a lot down therecrispy

Its a strange situation. The greenies (who run DENR) say they want to conserve biodiversity etc but then on the other hand their ideology prevents them from culling an animal in plague proportions such as the NZ fur seal.As a consequence biodiversity is slowly being lost!These people will sit there making big statements and demanding marine parks but they haven't got the intestinal fortitude to make the tough decision when they're required.Instead they'll just make excuses as to why there's no need to cull.

I'm not sure I understand the big hooha about the NZ fur seals.They are naturally found in Australian waters, they are called NZ fur seals because that's where you find most of them.They were in huge numbers in Australia in early colonial days, hunted to near extinction by sealers (I've read 100,000 taken from KI, 300,000 taken from WA etc).I'm not sure why they have become so prolific compared to the sea lions, they have both had the same opportunities, maybe sea lions just don't get it on like the fur seals do :)anyway, so its the natural order of things, we kill the seals, other species thrive in a 'seal free' environment. we stop killing the seals they come back and have all this lovely food to eat (mmm tasty penguins etc). of course their numbers are going to explode, but like all things in nature, if it gets out of control something will come along to correct it (more predators, lack of food etc).in short, we stuffed it up, its fixing itself, if we try to 'fix' the 'problem' we will just end up ballsing it up again.let nature take its course.

I'm not sure I understand the big hooha about the NZ fur seals.They are naturally found in Australian waters' date=' they are called NZ fur seals because that's where you find most of them.They were in huge numbers in Australia in early colonial days, hunted to near extinction by sealers (I've read 100,000 taken from KI, 300,000 taken from WA etc).I'm not sure why they have become so prolific compared to the sea lions, they have both had the same opportunities, maybe sea lions just don't get it on like the fur seals do :)anyway, so its the natural order of things, we kill the seals, other species thrive in a 'seal free' environment. we stop killing the seals they come back and have all this lovely food to eat (mmm tasty penguins etc). of course their numbers are going to explode, but like all things in nature, if it gets out of control something will come along to correct it (more predators, lack of food etc).in short, we stuffed it up, its fixing itself, if we try to 'fix' the 'problem' we will just end up ballsing it up again.let nature take its course.[/quote']Just to clarify some historical misconceptions here...The NZ fur seal predominantly occupied the east coast of OZ but was forced further south once the human population along the East coast grew larger/culling started there etc.This then placed increased competition on the viability of the Australian Sea lion in our southern waters until further human hunting along the south coast nearly wiped both species out.Since protection of both species, the NZ fur seal has proliferated due to it's feeding habits, avoidance of commonwealth fishing nets more than Aus seal lions and on top of this, adult male aggression kills almost 50% of all sea lion pups. A problem the NZ fur seal pups do not suffer from on the same levels.Fertility and death rates during birth from memory are also factors. TB ;)
A further count of little penguins on Granite Island at Victor Harbor has confirmed a colony of just 26.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-22/little-penguins-count-confirms-bleak-outlook/4214446"We cannot really manage the predation that is occurring at sea..."Can`t - replace with "won`t" - assuming it is our place to play God with species distribution/conservation in the first instance, unless there are actual/potential environmental threats which generate an imperative to do something?"...but what we can manage are the things that are happening on land, and that's where to date at a local level we've been concentrating our efforts."Obviously either not working too well, or they are trying to "manage" the wrong aspect?"We've put together an action plan with the penguin ecologists..."Better be a bloody good one, with only a couple of dozen of the beasties remaining...although as Kingsley pragmatically said a few posts back - "let nature take its course".A valid point - if it`s not blatantly anthropogenically caused, is it up to us to interfere to keep "things" the way they "are"?