Which braid?

Hi guys,I've got a shimano rarenium 4000 and I am planning to use it for lure casting on the beach. What pound braid would you recommend and how much of a spool would go on the 4000 for that recommended line strength? Looking at a few braids out there at the moment but it's quite hard to come to a decision on which to buy having done very little fishing off the beach.Cheers.

depends on what your chasing mate? id say 15lb would be your base start... i use fireline and havent had any problems.... if i were you though i would take it to your local tackle shop and get them to spool it with there "bulk" spools its alot cheaper then theres no wastage aswell :)

Trying to go after salmon. Budget-wise' date=' I can go pretty high thanks to my birthday and christmas gift. :D thanks for the replies, southie and Softy. Didn't know about the bulk spool. What's the quality like?[/quote']when i mean bulk spool i mean ur tackle shop will have a big roll of line, im talking like 1200m of it... it depends on what they stock but its usually power pro, fireline etc etc... they charge per metre generally you can spool a reel up with it for around 30-50 buxs

I've got power pro sitting around so I'm thinking of probably upgrading and going a higher end braid. I'm guessing the only upgrades would be Sunline PE and the Daiwa ranges... Thanks for the inputs, guys. I'll probably get a 20lb daiwa braid and would 40lb fluoro leader be too heavy?

I reckon I read somewhere (not sure where) that Shimano and PowerPro are "in bed" together :unsure: ........sounds like the same relationship as at my place :ohmy: if that's the case

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/using_powerpro0.htmlKonrad Krauland founded Innovative Textiles in 1992 in Grand Junction, Colorado, with the intent of manufacturing high strength braided lines for sport kiting. However, the need for a braided fishing line that was compatible with light tackle angling pushed Innovative Textile's development and manufacturing team to research, test, and develop a new braided super line - a small diameter line offering greater strength and less stretch than traditional monofilament lines.In 1997, Innovative Textiles introduced PowerPro microfilament braided line made with Spectra fiber, an incredibly round, smooth, and sensitive line (a vast improvement over the older braided lines). While initial sales were slow, hard work and perseverance paid off as Innovative Textiles has enjoyed a steady increase in sales revenue since the introduction of the PowerPro brand.In 2008, Shimano American Corporation completed its agreement to acquire Innovative Textiles, Inc. While maintaining manufacturing operations and staff at its facility in Grand Junction, CO Dave Pfeiffer, Shimano American President, notes that the Innovative Textiles sales and marketing efforts will be transitioned to Shimano American's operations in Irvine, CA. "The extensive background that Konrad Krauland and his team at Innovative Textiles have in braiding and textile engineering is one of the key assets of our acquisition," said Pfeiffer. "Krauland will join our management team as a vice president, focusing on production, coordinating manufacturing and new product development with Shimano offices worldwide."Pfeiffer further notes that, "While Konrad and Innovative Textiles have become a leader in braided fishing lines here in the U.S., the connection now with Shimano will allow us to grow the business throughout Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe and Latin America.""To be able to make that next big leap, from a strong brand in the U.S. fishing market to one that will have solid global presence, we couldn't be happier now being part of Shimano American Corporation," says Krauland. "As we integrate our Grand Junction operations into Shimano's operation in Irvine and sales offices around the globe, we look forward to working on the next innovations in fishing line technology and other new products over the next years."
  • 4 weeks later...
The next step up from sunline super pe is sunline Castaway or Momentum 4x4' date=' expensive but worth the extra $ ;) be aware that these are true 8 strand Braids, 10lb breaks at 10lb and is similar in diametre to most 3-4lb test braid brands that have been mentioned in this thread.cheers[/quote']Imho it depends on the application. I don't choose a braid based on breaking strain but rather on it's diameter. I want line managability and good casting distance so for e.g. I'll use Sunline Super PE 8lb or another PE 0.6 or 0.8 diameter line for bream fishing based on it's ability to cast light lures/ jigheads and avoid wind knots at the same time. Obviously I could fish 2 or 4lb braid for bream but it's not worth the headaches. So long as you're using a 4-6lb leader doesn't matter imo.
The next step up from sunline super pe is sunline Castaway or Momentum 4x4' date=' expensive but worth the extra $ ;) be aware that these are true 8 strand Braids' date=' 10lb breaks at 10lb and is similar in diametre to most 3-4lb test braid brands that have been mentioned in this thread.cheers[/quote'']Imho it depends on the application. I don't choose a braid based on breaking strain but rather on it's diameter. I want line managability and good casting distance so for e.g. I'll use Sunline Super PE 8lb or another PE 0.6 or 0.8 diameter line for bream fishing based on it's ability to cast light lures/ jigheads and avoid wind knots at the same time. Obviously I could fish 2 or 4lb braid for bream but it's not worth the headaches. So long as you're using a 4-6lb leader doesn't matter imo.
Spot on mate ;) the 2 braids I mentioned are PE 0.6 :) I use them for anything from bream, perch and mulloway to freshwater fish like callop, reddies and trout :) As you mentioned all the advantages of light braid without all the associated problems of 2-4 and 6lb braids.