Hard to tell by that picture but my first thought was a Congolli' date=' they can live in salt and freshwater and can be found in the drains and lakes in the south east.http://nrmeducation.net.au/uploads/images/Gallery/EwN-Fish/Congolli.jpgNickD[/quote']The one E is holding has extra fins on its sides and didn't have any scales ....slippery lil sucker
It's a mother f****** Tuppong' date=' catch a few of them in the mid to lower glenelg river on lures, great bait apparently but could possibly be protected? ;)[/quote']could be .... http://www.derwentestuary.org.au/freshwater-flathead/head is different though really blunt snout must be a topong that swam really fast into a rock.
goby' date=' toupong and congolli all the same family(gobiidae), most locals refer to them as topong but there's a hell of a lot of different varieties (2000+) within the species, I'll talk to vic fisheries to find out their scientific name :)[/quote']pretty sure your on the money hear Piranha.

Just contacted Vic fisheries and they will get the older wiser officer whose done sampling in the river to contact me tomorrow, the other local officers have heard stories of these rareish captures but where not game to give a name. you never know chief could be an un-named sub species,, the 'green spotted chief fish' :laugh: cheers

Just contacted Vic fisheries and they will get the older wiser officer whose done sampling in the river to contact me tomorrow' date=' the other local officers have heard stories of these rareish captures but where not game to give a name. you never know chief could be an un-named sub species,, the 'green spotted chief fish' :laugh: cheers[/quote'] :laugh::laugh::laugh: it could well be ...It's as ugly as me so the name would fit.Nelson045.jpg Cheers, interested in your findings as this one has me stumped. By the way that one is a PB for that species for me. 205mm .Didn't weigh it .

[attachment=15254]RomannoseGoby.docx[/attachment]Is it a Roman Nose Goby? I don't know why I thought of it but the moment I saw the pic That's what I thought it was.

Very close but this one had no visible scales ....smooth skin .WELL DONE to all who took the time to solve my lil catchSpeshly pirahna and archerfish for going higher in the knowAnd booma for the replica all be it way smaller than mine .Cheers from the Chief Going to have a celebratory Port Cos none of you have caught one .... :P

Talked to charlie cooper from vic fisheries (portland), turns out theres 2 species of goby in the river so i'll e-mail a pic to him for an accurate answer! definately ruled out congoli,tupong, lamprey and blue spot goby at this stage.I think Booma is spot on with bridled goby but their not actually listed as a species found in the glenelg river,,,,,,yet!

Vic fisheries got back to me last night' date=' as we suspected Booma hit the nail on the head and i'm sure your prize from Chief is in the mail :cheer: Vic fisheries DPI will now add a new native species to their known species list for the glenelg river ;) nice work guys :) cheers[/quote']Awesome...Cheers Piranha great news. :clap: and once again Well done Booma. your prize will have to be collected when you come to Loxton for a river fish with me :laugh:;) Thanks guys
  • 2 weeks later...