The Weird Things that Happen out Fishing

I got 1 for you mate!

Fishing off the beach near Glenelg, high tide, in summer. ...

Next minute the water retreated the length of westbeach breakwater within about 15-20 seconds causing almost Rapids from so much movement, then all rushed back in?? Like miniature synami??

No one else I've asked seems to ever have seen it apart from another South african fisherman I know, who can't find any explanation from anyone either? No ships coming past, only slight breeze...

If there was a person swimming, they would have been sucked out a fair way with no hope of swimming against it.

Only seen it once, but as I say... No locals seem to ever have? (Not that I know many people)

I got 1 for you mate!

Fishing off the beach near Glenelg, high tide, in summer. ...

Next minute the water retreated the length of westbeach breakwater within about 15-20 seconds causing almost Rapids from so much movement, then all rushed back in?? Like miniature synami??

No one else I've asked seems to ever have seen it apart from another South african fisherman I know, who can't find any explanation from anyone either? No ships coming past, only slight breeze...

If there was a person swimming, they would have been sucked out a fair way with no hope of swimming against it.

Only seen it once, but as I say... No locals seem to ever have? (Not that I know many people)

Maybe there was a small fissure deep underwater, like a small underwater earthquake. Caused the water to pour into the fissure hence the water rushing outwards.

Anyways that is quite unique, must've been recorded somewhere on BOM.

For me, a weird (or more-so rare) thing was watching 80cm plus snapper swim past my feet three times.  Once at NH rocks, once in the old Port Reach, and once in WL. All happened last year.  They were quite inquisitive and swam past me a few times before losing interest.

Brankin i was on the water that day it was a few years ago ay?? i was sitting out on the deeper silt grounds area and my decky said too me what the hell is that..it was a wall of water coming at us prob only about 2m high but it put the creeps up me as didnt know what was gonna follow  only time its ever happend and definatly wasnt wash or wake ;)

Many years ago now, my brother & I were fishing in the semi reef area (when there were plenty of KG Whiting around).  We caught our bag of fish & started heading back late afternoon when my brother said "whats that water shooting upwards over there" about 1km away. On closer inspection it was a whale with its calf. We hung around for an hour or so at a safe distance watching them & no other boats around. Even rang one of the TV stations to send a helicopter but they said they were too busy with other news!!.

Anyway it was an amazing sight for our local waters so close in & in shallow water. Did not have a camera & the mobile phones then did not have a camera function so no photos unfortunately. I will always remember this.

While early morning fishing/squidding off the rocks at Memory Cove with my son about 10 years ago we noticed a strange shape buzzing around in the water near our feet, pops its head up and its a Little penguin. Cool to see, but it gets more weird..... It susses us out for a few minutes then scrambles out onto the rocks and stands with us! In fact it stood right between us. "What is it doing Dad?"  Well as I don't do penguin I guessed at it either being ill or it was mightily lost and confused and thought we were big penguins! My 10 year old daughter joined us on the rocks and was so excited to see this beautiful little creature and as all kids like to do she wants to pat it. I said there is no way it will let you and as all kids like to do she proved me wrong! Obviously we didn't want to overly interfere with this creature, and once she had touched it and proved me wrong we left it to own devices and we fished on. It would occasionally have a swim and then get back out and hang with us again. Weird as! We finished up and as soon we left the penguin jumped in and I thought that was that.... Glanced back once, and then twice, and on the second occasion watched in amazement as a sea eagle swooped down from behind where we were standing and plucked our little friend from the water and carried it off to the other side of the cove. Without a word I walked on hoping to god that my daughter wouldn't look back, but of course she did, and then we got "wow Dad look at that big bird"... "oh what's it got, it's carrying something".... "on nooo the penguin Dad, it's got the penguin"!!! That's when you do your best explanation of that's how nature works, blah, blah, blah, but obviously that doesn't help a small person who has just lost her new favourite animal in the world, ever!!!

That year we were unlucky enough to come across many dead emus on the drive in to Memory Cove, a dead seal on the beach and the loss of our little friend. We renamed it Memorial Cove that year!

Weirdest thing I have seen in my relatively short fishing experience was at Glenelg jetty a few months back. I was squidding while my mate was going for fish, and he hooked up a small snapper of around 30cm. As he was reeling it in, we noticed it was being stalked by a squid - that was no bigger than the snapper!! I managed to tempt the overly-ambitious squid onto a jig and my friend finished reeling in and releasing the snapper. It was pretty cool seeing a squid in action like that -  pulsating waves of colour as it approached the fish - just couldn't believe it thought it stood a chance of catching a fish bigger than it!

That is a cool story PP!! having a couple squids I can relate big time LOL

Ive heard similar stories of pelicans swooping down and taking pet dogs of the minitaure variety, never witnessed personally tho.

Wierdest thing Ive ever seen whilst out fishing was what we can only assume was a UFO??.

Im no tin foil guy or the like, but for at least 15mins a group of us watched a fast moving object high above us one night whilst fishing second valley jetty in the wee hrs.

Be 15 years ago now, and this object just zipped around eratically high in the sky directly above.

Typical UFO sitting I guess, quick movementsin no particulaur direction, was around for a while and for no reason we could see, finaly went away after 10 mins or so.

No one was doing drugs that night or :d/  and we all seen it, to this day it comes up in conversation and everybody recalls the same thing.

side note: Il admit, I find UFO sittings intresting, but either the Aliens have got smarter or people just dont care anymore and dont create fraudulant evidence.

You would would think in the modern age where everybody has a camera in their pockets 90% of the time, reported sitings would be common, yet its the  opposite. :huh:

Brankin i was on the water that day it was a few years ago ay?? i was sitting out on the deeper silt grounds area and my decky said too me what the hell is that..it was a wall of water coming at us prob only about 2m high but it put the creeps up me as didnt know what was gonna follow  only time its ever happend and definatly wasnt wash or wake ;)

Yep! That was Im pretty sure when it was! I also freaked out abit! Got out of there pretty quick! I thought you couldn't get tsunami's here... But I sure as hell wasn't going to hang around to find out I was wrong the hard way!

I'm glad someone else saw it, it's had me puzzeld how no one seemed to know of it happening.

It was genuinely scary how much and how quick it happened! Dirtied the water up and dumped a load of weed in the shallows as far as I could see in both directions! Ended my days fishing in 15 minutes of me getting there.

One awesome  thing I saw  was up near Burra Gorge fishing a big pool for trout ,and there were swallows flying around taking insects off the surface.Was quietly doing my thing having a fish in this middle of nowhere spot.

Out of nowhere from behind there was a swoooosh as a big black falcon  belted past my shoulder and  took one of the swallows clean out of the air right in front of me.

The sheer speed and power of it was amazing,was a briiliant thing to see .

Out of all the birds it could target,ie galahs,honeyeaters ect.... easy prey,this thing cleaned  up probably the fastest,elusive bird[swallow] to catch,almost like it  was  enjoying the challenge and testing its hunting skills. B)

Wasn't fishing, but in the boat in  the north arm port river when i was doing some research for my PhD. Just motoring along at a fairly slow place when i hear this weird sound, 'cheee ewe' kinda laser sound, or a bit like when you flick the wire on a long tight fence and it makes that kinda laser gun star wars sound (very hard to describe) Any way i turned around to see a splash about a meter behind the boat that looked like it originated under the water but it was a very vertical stream of water about 4ft high and maybe 20-30cm diameter. My first thought was sh!t ive popped a dolphin!!!! ha ha Dont ask me why but it was a weird sound and i had no idea what it was. Thinking about it and i can only come up with two explanations 1) it was a lightning strike but it wasnt really stormy weather, or 2) something relatively small hit the water at an intense speed like it was dropped from a plane or space or i dont know. Still freaks me out that i could have been obliterated by random thing falling from the sky. Anyone have any ideas?

Also weird thing i saw the other day while skimming rocks into the warren res.... a 10 cm soft plastic rigged on a wire trace.???????????? Is  there a warren ness monster i've not heard about?

Also, pretty weird that circle hooks are totally ineffective on toadies lol. why do the dirty buggers always have to swallow the hook lol

Wasn't fishing, but in the boat in  the north arm port river when i was doing some research for my PhD. Just motoring along at a fairly slow place when i hear this weird sound, 'cheee ewe' kinda laser sound, or a bit like when you flick the wire on a long tight fence and it makes that kinda laser gun star wars sound (very hard to describe) Any way i turned around to see a splash about a meter behind the boat that looked like it originated under the water but it was a very vertical stream of water about 4ft high and maybe 20-30cm diameter. My first thought was sh!t ive popped a dolphin!!!! ha ha Dont ask me why but it was a weird sound and i had no idea what it was. Thinking about it and i can only come up with two explanations 1) it was a lightning strike but it wasnt really stormy weather, or 2) something relatively small hit the water at an intense speed like it was dropped from a plane or space or i dont know. Still freaks me out that i could have been obliterated by random thing falling from the sky. Anyone have any ideas?

Also weird thing i saw the other day while skimming rocks into the warren res.... a 10 cm soft plastic rigged on a wire trace.???????????? Is  there a warren ness monster i've not heard about?

Also, pretty weird that circle hooks are totally ineffective on toadies lol. why do the dirty buggers always have to swallow the hook lol

Not as weird as it may sound regarding lighting/static electricity, there is a guy i know that madly fished when an electrical storm was on,didnt pack up and leave,but when 30 metres of line he had out ,completely lifted out the water and gravitated  6 foot off the surface decided to wind in like hell and get the heck outta there...true story. B)

Would have been an almost lightning strike.

Before lightning actually strikes you get 2 things, one is channels of negative charges coming down from the sky and then you get multiple points of positive charges trying to go up to meet it. When they manage to meet halfway to bridge the gap then the lightning happens. But you can have failed ones, if your looking in just the right place you can sometimes see a faint red glow going up. There have been photo's of people standing around and when the photo develops they see a weird finger of light coming out of the ground heading toward the sky.

Standing near one apparently gives a weird electrical buzzing/whining sound and the static can cause all sorts of effects like lifting things up.

Was at tenny a few years back with DR_JOSH chasing some YFW... it was sort of stormy but a lot of static in the air... Everytime we would cast it was like a cowboy cracking there whip... It was very very weird. Not to much later Josh had his rod under his arm while rebaiting and got zapped and caused him to drop his rod in the water..... We decided at that point it was time to make a hasty retreat to the cars and get out of there :lol:

Thought my braid was stuck on spiders web or something... As about 1ft off the surface, all the way out.

The clicking lasted probbrably a good 5 minutes too.

Think I'm very lucky, because I had no shoes, standing on sandbags on low tide, and bags were wet still, as they're normaly under water, and I had walked across them while they were still under water.

Graphite rod, drizzling rain....

Should have bought a lotto ticket that day!!

Bagged out on the yellowfin 2

The scary thing is also, that despite adelaide having very few lightning strikes per year, because of the dry climate, it has some of the biggest voltages, as the lack of moisture in the air makes it need to buildup a huge amount of energy to be able to arc that far without a good conductive path!

I only know that from trade school when we coverd surge suppression devices.

They use the biggest in sa.