What was your first fish!???

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so there's aint no way I can think back to 35-40 years ago! :icon_eek:Too much fun since then and too many lost braincells, velly solly! ;D

Probably a slimey mack :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :laugh:I've been boat fishing since the age of about 4 yrs old but my fondest recollection was catching leatheries and squid off the Screwpile Jetty at Victor when I camped at the Caravan Park there at about age 4 or 5 yrs (late 1960's) with my "non Fisherpeople" GrandparentsCaught my first tuna around the age of 8 yrs oldHere's some snapper I caught 3km off Glenelg in 1972 aged 10 yrs... like Ranger my memory is a bit faded and I think my old man probably only got a couple of bites :D :icon_lol:Posted Image

Decent snaps there fishie. Back then there were snapper everywhere. Its gud to hear all ya stories! its good to think back on those days when you caught all those fish and that great day with ya dad. gud timeshappy fishen, alex ;D

Yep! fishing is a great tool for family bonding.... over the years I've had lot's of comments from different people how well my old man and I get on so well together... and it's all due to fishing. Boating and fishing is all about team work. Even a day out fishing with your mates is a great "bonding" mateship session ...A family that fishes together, stays together :icon_idea:That pic is a great example of what size of fish you'd expect to catch in those days, nower days the average size is a lot smaller at probably about 20lb whereas then it was quite common to get fish up around 30lb on your whiting gear whilst fishing for whitng out off the Bay on any of the recognised spots

Mine was a Perch on the river Ouse in Yorkshire ,UK.On................. a piece of roast beef - Mum had just cooked a roast on the cabin cruiser they had there.Stuck a lump on and Bang!!!Only 8 ears old so no idea what to do with it - just chucked it back in . .hissy. .hissy.Nice fish there Fishie!!!!

Pumpkinseed from Long Pond in Belgrade Maine, USA. I was probably about 8 years old on a trip with my dad and his workmates. We started making that trip every year after that and my mates back over there are still going. Great lake for smallmouth bass and northern pike if you ever find yourself in the area! size=459http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/ywum0G2d__pumpkinseed.jpg[/img]

When I was a kid I remember going down to the jetty with my dad and brother, it was probably Henley Beach, dad would try for the Gar with all his different mixes of Mince meat, bran and pollen, gents, semolina, about halfway along, and us kids tried to catch something in the shallows, probably a silver or sand whiting, it was too long ago, cant remember back 50 years ago.

Sand flathead in 1967 on Henley Jetty, we had moved to the coast from the bush and I was fascinated with fishing immediately. I had been trying to catch something for weeks and I shudder when I think of the gear I was using and how I went about it back then. I had no-one to advise me and boy did I make mistakes. I was using a bit of fishing line wrapped around a wooden frame this day, I had a piece of red meat on for bait and caught it just before lunch. My Mum would ride down there with me and sit and watch for a couple of hours while I tried to catch a fish. She said "come on, lets go home", just as I went to pull the line in it took off and the line actually cut my finger a little. It was not a big fish, I would guess around 35cm or so but hell yes, I do remember that day.

My first fish was a yellowbelly perch(callop) caught in the Darling river between Menindee and Wilcannia when I was about 11 (crap 39 years ago) I was on a fishing trip with my father and was stting on the bank watching him make up some hand lines ready to fish. As I was sitting there something kept splashing in the water in some weeds about 2 feet out from the bank. It finally got the better of me and I baited up a hand line with worm on a 1/0 hook with running sinker and slowly dropped it in the area of the splashes. Hey presto within seconds the line has gone taught and the fight is on. Only a short fight but Im the winner and a nice 32cm yellowbellow lands on the bank. For tea that night I still think it was the best fish I ever tasted. And so started a 39 year love affair with fishing. Hope I get at least another 39 years of enjoyment.Sadly our rivers especially the Darling and Murray are under huge environmental threat and I dont think they will ever be like they were 39 years ago.

just went down to garden island with my three year old son to watch the bream boats comin in took the boys (just like dads rod) not with to many expectations, but the boy just pulled his first salt water fish ;D ;D ;D ;D well two of them a double header of yes you guessed it SHITTIES, well they are at least reliable made the lads day but he was shattered when i made him throw them back he wanted to take them home for mum to cook for tea, :stir: im just not that game shitties bad enough but port river shitties hmmmmm me think not,,,,,,,

• 2 months later...

i remember catching a massive carp from the torrens not sure if it was my first but first memory of catching somethingi remember taking it to school cos i was so impressedmy teacher wasnt very impressed with a big carp in the class room all day

My first was a redfin caught off the bank half way between Swan reach and Blanchetown. The same day my old man hooked a huge cod on my brothers K-mart kids rod. Fought it all the way in to the bank and with on huge kick gone. Will never forget that such a huge fish and the disappointment for the old man on being so close to the fish of a lifetime.