28lb Snapper,personal best!

What a day!I went out this morning to choppy conditions.Really though I might not be out long.I had two newly arrived Poms on board who fancied a go at sea fishing.Called in a few usual spots in the hope of some KG's but no luck. Landed a few good sized Squid and a nice Cuttlefish.I was really hoping to give the blokes a bit of sport so called in at a drop I sit on now and again in the hope of the odd Rugger.I did chuck over two big baits as well in the vain hope of something bigger.I was just showing one of the guys something when the other said "look at your rod!"Holy crap! - I did not realise a rod could safely bend that far!I though I had a Shark at first as it peeled of a lot a line just going south.Eventually I managed to slow it and got that familiar head shake.Now was the time to remember my Snapper mentor's words and take it easy,I only had 20lb line on.After a sweaty and adrenaline filled ten minutes we saw colour,both poms still thinking it was a Shark.Once it was near the boat you could see this was a biggie Snapper.Asked one of the Poms to be ready with the landing net.We got him near the net but only his head would fit in.We all had one of those dopey "what we gonna do now?" momentsFortunately my other Pom grabbed the tail and we yanked him in.28lb, busted my personal best by 8lbs.I might calm down by Friday! :):):) :woohoo: :woohoo: I can't show the Snapper in his full glory as there is something very recognisable in the back ground that is too hard to edit out.This is a full sized esky to give you an idea of the scale of the fish...Posted ImageNice bit of rod bend.......Posted Image

Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

not always true tyke, you dont seem to get a lot of snapper this time of year but the 1's you do get are generally bigger than the summer cousins.may I ask was it local

Not as much of a fluke as I thought then.Hmm,fairly local ,I call on this spot regularly and never seen this size before.I reckon people would waste fuel looking for another of this this on the spot.
Damobeer wrote:

Nice fish. More importantly, did you manage to get the oil stain out of that jacket? I've been so worried..... :P

:laugh::laugh::laugh: It's even worse now, had a Cuttlefish "explode" in the boat showering all 3 of us with ink!I forget just how much muck those bugga's carry!
  • 4 weeks later...