Guest shagging
pescados wrote:

Reading the Sunday mail this morning and mulloway up to 11 kg caught at West Lakes :huh: Now how come we have not read anything from those members on this site who chase mullies ??Me thinks something smells somewhere anbd don't think it is the members. :dry:

Yeah true mate! i take what i read in the paper with a pinch of salt,but hey might have happened who no's :)
Guest davidm#2
hoopsy wrote:

i no a guy who pulled 2 out of there last week 18lb and 28lb i think it was and ive seen the pics there would be 50lbs in there but they dont get that big being stupid ;)

well said hoopsy, theres more mullies in the lake than we think. but it takes a lot of time and effort to work out the feeding patterns of these fish, and eustry mulloway are much more fussy.and im sure that the people that write the collum, have plenty of recourses(may even be Strike and Hook. but i supose its a personal choice wether you choose to belive or not. my 2centscheers :)
Guest davidm#2
Jake7 wrote:

Done a allnighter in westlakes last night and got nothing :huh: :dry:but we did run out of live bait and had to use frozen squid from a servo and it was a crap moon :angry: but still enjoyed it :laugh::laugh::)

were did u end up going jake???

Very true Mark, we do get a phone call weekly asking for fishing reports, We can only listen to the reports people give us most being true but some arn't.Often the reports can be a week late but it's not like the fish will bite for 1 week only.Believe what you want to I guess, but coming from 2 people that provide this information I would believe it.Cheers Dubs

pescados wrote:

Reading the Sunday mail this morning and mulloway up to 11 kg caught at West Lakes :huh: Now how come we have not read anything from those members on this site who chase mullies ??Me thinks something smells somewhere anbd don't think it is the members. :dry:

C'mon Pescados do you think every fisherman is on this site ??????Most the young fella's that actually used to catch big Jewies outta the lake are hardly on here anymoreYou've seen the proof and yet you still doubt it :unsure::unsure: That report is 100% its "NOT" whether they are in there its the time you put in to get them....... ;) Cheer Adam

I cant believe I am writing to tell you guys this but as most people know the species that live in the lake are wide and varied.Myself and John Walkley managed to get onto a school of snapper at 33-35cm (Not sure if this was last year or year before), but was when the bream were going hard and he was landing plenty of 40cm plus bream...and boy was landing the reds major fun. I was fishing on soft plastic (Berkley poggy mullets) and was getting slammed.was the most fun I have ever had in the lake. I have also caught big flounder, and like most of you have seen some monster blue swimmer crabs just cruising past.The lake can be an amazing place to fish.Kind of like the broadwaters in brisbane but without the metre long flatties...bummer. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Mullies are definately in there and come on the bite from now thru to May...I have personally seen 3 mullies caught in one night at about 90cm each ...Location: Hanson court concrete lake surround) These were on live mullet taken just after dark.Have always wanted to go and try throwing some new generation softies at em but never been really bothered, but as its on my way home from work, maybe I should give it some serious thought.Tightest of toight lines. Brett :)

On that note, i dont understand why we havent got loads of flatties in the lake, its perfect. There are plenty of flats full of mullet/gar/whiting to feed on, flatties are common place metro and at grange so why, unlike almost every other species i can think of, do they not seem to come into the lake? They would have to...

Guest Noob fisher
__matt__ wrote:

On that note, i dont understand why we havent got loads of flatties in the lake, its perfect. There are plenty of flats full of mullet/gar/whiting to feed on, flatties are common place metro and at grange so why, unlike almost every other species i can think of, do they not seem to come into the lake? They would have to...

ive seen hundreds of baby flatties in there, like 10cm big
Guest davidm#2
__matt__ wrote:

maybe we should introduce them?? :P
Noob fisher wrote:

__matt__ wrote:

ive seen hundreds of baby flatties in there, like 10cm big
i dunno about hundreds, but i have seen a few. no where near 10cm long though, more around the 50-60mm mark. but have never seen one at a size that would make you think about targeting them. if they are in there, there would have to be some people on here that have got them as a by catch whilst breamming surely...

we don't get flatties in the estury systems down this way either even though the river is open to the sea most of the year, I have asked locals who live on the river and they say they've heard of 1 flattie caught in the last 15 years. It is strange :huh:You would think of baby flatties are in the lake then mum & dad flatties would have to be in there at some stage?cheers wes

benny wrote:

Those little 'flathead' are not really flathead there flathead gudgeon, the size you see in the lake are about as big as they grow.... top bream tucker too ;)

I'd say your right there benny and the biggest of them i would of seen would be about 4cm,I reckon most flattie would be unlikely to swim off the bottom enough to get in the inlet pipes at grange but that doesn't explain the number of flounder in there which would have similar traits. cheers brenton

I think its because the flatties here in SA dont really hang around the estuaries they prefer reef/ weedy bottom and we dont really have that here in the lake (a few creeks on the Ep produces them) its probably something to do with the type of weed and food abundnace, because I have noticed a lot of them have juvenile blue swimmer crabs in their stomachs.