PB Yellowtail kingfish

Hey all,Saturday the 20th of nov, a day to remember.I and my son went out in my boat,14 ft stacer,mostly just to chill, life had been a little rough of late, and maybe get a few salmon and a feed of crabs.First we tried a creek runoff as the tide was outgoing, nothing but shitties, time to shift and get settled for a cuppa for smoko, we didnt get out early and werent to fussed about the tides either, just a nice day on the water.We moved and anchored just outside of one of the new channel markers popping up everywhere up here, in went the berley and out came the thermos.After a cuppa a little friendly competion with my boy on the salmon with lures, we had bought each other an ugly stik baitcaster for christmas as we both wanted to try more of this sort of fishing, a few salmon came in the boat and then i got a nice tommy on a metal slice, ever the optomist i put it on the big rod as a livie an sat for a smoke.The gar dissapeared from the berley trail and my livie was super excited, just as i said to my son "get ready" my rod went off, i grabbed it and hit the lever drag to strike, well it only slowed a little and i was worried about poles etc, Shaun had the anchor up, ready to start the moter but luck had the fish and us going for open water so i put more drag on and well maybe that was a mistake, kingy must have realised something wasnt right and had a big run, both arms locked on the rod, the rod on the side of the boat with the tip in the water, my left arm was burning already, lift and a couple of winds and off kingy would go again, this went on for a bit, sweat was pouring off me, my arms were burning, and i was starting to wonder who would win, about then it went deep just bursts now and then it went in wide circles under us, Shaun lifted the moter and i started to gain some line back.Then we saw colour, and i realised the size of the thing, and well we swore! and i paniced, as the fished arced wide i knew it would see the boat and run again, Shaun had the gaff ready, and gaffed just as it was about to go off again, up she came in a rush of pure adrenalin Shaun pulled it into the boat.Athough we tried, we didnt get another run and my son missed out, next time aye, at the tackle shop it weighed 54 kilos and was 115cms long.

Love the smile, love the fish and love the story :):):) Awesome work AliKat. I like the bit where you say "ever the optimist" hahaha. I'm just like that with the mulloway here in the port river haha but you give me hope that one day that screaming run'll come.Well done mate!!!! Bet your son is keen as mustard to get back out and get one too :)

24.4kgs/54 pounds, sorry bout that, measured 115cm conservative, had been on ice a bit,bloody big an heavy.Port Augusta, channel, near entrance to pattersons, new channel markers everywhere up here and the old ones not gone yet, so be wary if your coming up this way, assuming the old ones will come down or it will be confusing especialy at night.Ali

Was a day to remember thats for sure!Again guys if ya coming this way anytime soon watch the channel markers, they have one new one then and old one that lines you up to go through a sand bank with the only mangrove tree on in right in the middle.I do hope they fix it soon, Ali

• 2 months later...

Nice fish. 115cm and 54lb? Is that right? They're all muscle but I would have thought a 50 lb'ish fish to be more around the 125-35cm'ish mark?Great fish either way. Cheers

im with u matt great fish none the less kat congratulations must have been fat. i got 1 up port 2 yr ago that was 115cm and went 14 kg and finally broke 20 kg even not that long ago that went 135 cm.like i said tho great effort mate a job well done :)

Hey guys, were not sure on the weight, sharpy weighed her in out the front of the tackle shop, but im getting a digital set for meself one day.The length i saw though, cant wait for another one.Christmas day i got out for a couple of hours in the morning and we got 2 rats, crabs, and played with new lures.

how old is that photo/hello kat,nice to see a lady catching kings for a change to.My king in my avatar went 112cm and weighed 14.5kg so yours is roughly the same but still a lovely fish.this kingfish is my smallest ive caught but i love the photo.i fish up there alot and love the place,ive caught and lost lots of kings,nice mulloway and snapper.my favourite place in sa to fish.:)

Was a day to remember thats for sure!Again guys if ya coming this way anytime soon watch the channel markers' date=' they have one new one then and old one that lines you up to go through a sand bank with the only mangrove tree on in right in the middle.I do hope they fix it soon, Ali[/quote']this just recently obviously mate??pritty much every w.e in winter i spend up there
Was a day to remember thats for sure!Again guys if ya coming this way anytime soon watch the channel markers' date=' they have one new one then and old one that lines you up to go through a sand bank with the only mangrove tree on in right in the middle.I do hope they fix it soon' date=' Ali[/quote'']this just recently obviously mate??pritty much every w.e in winter i spend up there
If not fishing but partying in the hills somewhere hey wes :)

Hi,Yeah mate there still out there at it, making there way toward the whyalla end of the Pt Augusta shacks, i assume they will get rid of the old markers, friggin sticks everywhere.A boat got pinged for fishing (in the channel) he faught the fine saying the channel wasnt defined, true enugh, then all of a sudden they can find the money and say it was in the pipeline all along,now the poor crabbers ave to sit just outside, Ali