most memorable moment

ok guys and gals just after your most memorable fishn moment/experience.mine came last year after purchasing my boat. i took it over to port victoria and got my first whiting in my own boat wasnt a monster just the feeling of launching, heading out anchoring,fishing then retrieving it all on my own at a reasonably busy ramp was shaking like a leaf through nerves but on the drive home thought how good it was to be finally doing what i love in my own tub. :boat: any way thats my favourite moment so far so please share your stories cheers 4THA. :fishing:

Not sure it was my most memorable but,Sitting on the the banks of the torrens lake chasing carp... get a big hit, start walking towards my new rod to see it get ripped out of the rod holder and being dragged across the grass towards the water....I leg it and jump in as my rod starts to power thru the water, manage to just grab it, start fighting the fish while paddling back, get to the river bank, hand Jimmy the rod, climb out and keep fighting the fish and land it after about 8mins....Damn carp, i showed that thing who is boss.... :lol:Cost = Pack of smokes that where in my pocket, and my sunnys. :lol:

Not sure it was my most memorable but' date='Sitting on the the banks of the torrens lake chasing carp... get a big hit, start walking towards my new rod to see it get ripped out of the rod holder and being dragged across the grass towards the water....I leg it and jump in as my rod starts to power thru the water, manage to just grab it, start fighting the fish while paddling back, get to the river bank, hand Jimmy the rod, climb out and keep fighting the fish and land it after about 8mins....Damn carp, i showed that thing who is boss.... :lol:Cost = Pack of smokes that where in my pocket, and my sunnys. :lol:[/quote']All time classic Softy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My most memorable would be at moonta only couple years back.Family holiday me mrs and kids in a shack. First day me and dad get there early with the boat and have a memorable day offshore snaps. He stays the night and next day we get rained on and too windy for a morning launch. My mum and grandmother rock up to pick him up.The drizzle clears a bit and they reckon a walk along the beach before they go home. So me and dad take our light rods and never having fished that beach before reckon we will get a quick fish in cause they walk so slow.With old worms we wade out about waist deep and cast in likely spots, just hungry for at least one more bent rod before he leaves.... Bugga me if we don't hit a school of big yellowfin whiting.... Just by using our fishing brains and testing gutters and little bits of weedline :):):) we had no where to put em so most went back with just a smile and another cast. Took 4 back in the pocket of my boardies...2 escaped by time I made the beach hahaha.Then we heard the yells from three generations of women, "you two idiots get back to the house an get dry, your dads got to get home!".Gold!!

most harrowing experience would be me and a mate fishing in my little tinny off hallett cove, having a blast not really paying much attention to the slowly building wind and chop. finally noticing all the other boats had gone and the wind getting a bit much so start heading back through medium waves.wind picked up some more and before you know it we're battling 2m+ waves head on for 5km back to the ramp. anyone that goes out from o'sullies will know how bad the waves can get as you go around the stanvac jetty. got airborne a couple of times trying to go a little too fast and it was a real struggle making progress against the constant onslaught of crashing waves, getting blown around at the top of the waves, and water coming at us from everywhere. my mate copped the worst of it standing up the front. had to head out, quick 180, then follow the sea back in to the ramp as it was a strong SW and I didn't fancy the idea of trying to cut across the waves into the ramp.finally made it back to the ramp, legs shaking, and realising it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to actually don a life jacket...later realised those hard landings off waves and general battering had broken 3 welds holding the side bracing to the floor.

Mine would have to be shared between two most memorable moments......It was a perfect day, almost no wind. Right up until we launched that was. With wind squalls up to 30 knots and above, we still headed out. Had a reasonable trip out but saw a heap of boats heading in at a rate of knots. By the time we hit the mark, it was getting very rough, burying the nose every 3 or 4 troughs. We knew there were fish there and tried to anchor but it proved fruitless. So we headed back in. Bery slow and wet trip in. Parked up at the ramp having decided to see it out. Managed to get back out about an hour or so later and anchored up on the mark. About 20 minutes after we had pulled up the rod went off. It was a short fight but when it was over, I had my first decent Snap on board.My equal first most memorable moment occurred a few days later ... A fellow strike hooker, myself, my cousin and two of my boys went out to a local mark. There were several other boats present. After 3 hours without a sniff, decided to move. Went to another drop, and found a school on the sounder. As soon as the first bait hit the bottom, it was on. And it didn't stop for two hours until we had our limits and had to leave them biting! It was the first time I had ever bagged out. And it happened to be on 6-odd Kilo Snapper as well as a decent bag of under 60's!Two great moments I or anyone of my crew will ever forget!

G'Day Fokes, Would have to say my most memorable fishing moment would have to be pulling in my 9.6ft Bronzie off Henley Jetty with all my best mates there to help. Headed down at 4:00am Thursday morning, school started at 10:00am, hooked onto the big girl at 8:00am and didn't get her onto the beach until 10:00am, got to school late with the best excuse in the world...Too bad i can't use that excuse all the time! :fishing::clap:

My most memorable would have to be at the mere age of 12 me and a couple of mates would get dropped of at dock 20 down at the port on a friday afternoon with a couple of two man tents nailed to the dock with little gas cooker and all ready for a weekend of fishing as we would not get picked up again till the Sunday. I only had one rod back then which was a jarvis walker / Donnie Boone that only 6ft long spooled with only 9lb line, with a set up for bream baited with tube worm. Had'nt got any thing till the Saturday afternoon when all of a sudden i get this massive bite and then it's on reel peeling out line and me with my heart pumping like hell all in a panic. i then realize to tighten the drag to slow every thing down, i still did'nt know what i had hooked as it took me all the down to dock 18 then back to dock 20 again. This is when it surfaced low and behold Mulloway biggest i had ever seen. Now i think what do i do i have no gaff, 9lb line, 6ft rod. Then two guys driving past see i have something they stop jump out and can't believe there eyes, fortunately they have a gaff so they climb down the steps that were at the end of the dock and gaff it. Turned out to be a 20 pounder, i was so greatful of these guys as i would never would have been able to get it.They were so pleased as i was to have such a great catch at that age with the light gear i was using, i was so proud of myself. So that began my quest on the mulloway fishing.Thankyou for taking the time to read this. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo:

mine would have to be catching my first big bronzie from henleyafter spending every weekend down henley/grange in the wind and rain i convinced the old man to take me down to henley and not go to school, even got him to get up at 3am to go down there.preety sick way to spend a day instead of schooljust spewing i didnt measure her now.FSW

I was 10 years old and my dad owned half a shack at Port Augusta, school holidays, dads 10 foot tinny, and oars, i know lol, no moter,! No fishing bans and if there were limits i didnt know them, We rowed straight out from the front of the shacks to a (channel marker) it was an old stick that moved with the tide, the swaying told us when the tide was turning, Just on daylight, we rigged the handlines with a big slop line we used to call them each, and settled in for a hot milo for me and a tea for dad, before tackling the tommies, My big red handline went banging along the bottom of the boat, i grabbed for it and just held on, the line was so thick i think it would have towed a car, my arm was hurting, but arm over arm i pulled, dad was saying a nice flathead for tea mum will love us and then! yes i saw colour, i was sweating, and yelling dad, the tail was splashing me with seawater, next thing i knew dad had it over and into the boat, the prettiest fish id ever seen, the blue was vibrant, i was shaking and couldnt let go of the hand line, well ill be a bloody huge snapper snapper says dad, okay id caught a snapper! and it was apparently very good!I wish i knew the size and weight, all i can remember is we had to come in, it didnt fit in the fish bag, an old wheat bag and dad wanted it on ice, Mum came down because we were back so early she thought something was wrong, the smile on mum and dads face was almost as big as mine, Dad and i went back out and got some tommies while mum cleaned the snapper, but i spent the whole time watching the big hand line, with my heart pounding, waiting for another one, i was hooked and i still to this day have that feeling, the gear has changed, and the rules, i have my own boat now, and take dad out, but the feeling, well thats the same, We ate that snapper that niight, mum cooked it on the coals, the sweetest fish ive ever eaten, and then the best nights sleep, dreaming of the next big one.

I have two moments i cant separateThe first was when i was a younger fishing with my parents, grandparents, uncles & aunties and sister on the Murray at our then regular spot.We started to pack up and call it a day when my Grandfather hooked a Redfin, then another and another. Within minutes there were four of us hooking Redfin on bare silver hooks and as we landed them there was someone handing us another rod while they took the fish offWe caught over 50 in 30mins of mayhem and then as suddenly as it started it stopped.The second was last yearSitting at the end of my landing at Mannum at first lightFishing was slow but watching the Pelicans glide through the fog, the noise of the Kookaburras, all the wildlife and the fish jumpingAbsolute Heaven and Nature at its bestHow good does it get ????

i reckon i have a few as i grew up fishing all the time my dad was a real keen sea person anything as long it was in the ocean but heres some1 i lived down the s/e for many years when younger and loved to dive and snorkel my dad was the same and one day he showed me a spot (no im not telling you where) that had cray every where. years later i was working down that way and though id go for a quick snorkel out of my yak. swimming in the area brought back lots of fond mmerories (oops) and spying a rock i though it looked familiar. well the crays where 3 deep on the bottom and 2 deep from the top of the ledge , swimming in i just grabbed a handfull and dumped them in the yak. 2 ducks down and i had 8 or 9 sorted through them and all where legal. dam the was a nice tea that nite2 my 2 jews i got 2 winters ago down the port long nite and cold but i was determind to out last some mates just down the river (i belive they where drinking etc with the music up loud fools i dont belive in anchoring for jews and drift instead with live gar on. well slack water in my spot produced a screamer run hook up and 8 min tussle with what i knew would be my pb(was 19lbs from the onka) when the fish came along side the boat i was shaking , sweating and estatic. seeing the fish i lent over the side and bam gaffed her with a mix of pride and sorrow. quick weigh sent back 39lbs oooooo god got luv the mullies.quickly retraced my drift and sent new gar down not 1 min and both rods loaded up argh which rod um the fastest screaming drag was chosen 7 mins later along side she came ooooooo looks bigger i reckon gaffed and weighed at 37lbs longer but not as heavy beautifull fish and felt rather sad about taking them anyway ywn laterDSCF0121.JPGo and building my boat and it not sinking (fast anyway lol)

Just sent a PM to a member, and it was partially about this..............One of mine would have to have been fishing The Dog Fence Beach on a calm and moonless night.mate and I were standing knee deep in the waters wash, soaking baits for mullies about 20 metres apart, and we could bareley see each other in the dark.The other guy walked back up the beach without me noticing, walked back around right behind me, grabbed me and screamed at me :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: .Im still not sure who almost died first, me from fright or him from me wanting to punch the crapper out of him for doing it :whistle: :laugh: Good times :clap:

One of my favourites was when I was out kayak fishing In a little dirty creek that ran through the property I lived at in NSW, I was motoring along under leccy power in 5ft of water in the middle of the creek flat bottom no structure anywhere when suddenly my little garmin 80 sounder started screaming at me with fish alarms going off indicating a very large fish sitting on the bottom in a little depression at around 6ft(I didn't even realise the alarm was on as I had never used that feature before). I proceded to troll through and cast lures at the spot for the next 4 hours after my sounder kept saying the same thing every pass, after trying every cod and callop lure at my disposal I called it a day.Went back to the house only to have those events eating away at me while watching TV and having a beer so grabbed a rod and a couple of yabbies and went back to spot X, cast out my yabby and before it hit bottom BANG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 4-5 minutes later I was holding a 70lb 125cm murray cod, not my PB but definately one of the most memorable. I went swimming in the creek the following day and found a number of depressions in the mud flat creek bed around 2m long by a metre wide and around a foot and a half deep, they where cod haunts which I later found out where shared by a large number of 50lb to 80lb cod:) cheers

I think some of my most memorable fishing moments have been when I have watched someone who has never caught their target species catch what they are trying to catch.The Look on Dels face when he hooked a good brown trout in the torrens was priceless and a moment I will never forget and watching B214 land his 7kilo first big Red is a moment I wont forgett either as I had a feeling from the moment we launched that at some stage that night we were going to get a good snapper.All the rest of the southern boating world had packed up and left, and it was just one of those nights when it just had to happen.Another memorable moment was fishing at Cape Beauer around from Streaky Bay as a lad with my dad and having a school of 4lb salmon going nuts under floats and getting fish after fish until a seal rocked up and ruined the fishingCrazy times.!!:laugh: :laugh:

It was June 2000, we as a family took the Dominator Cat to Nth. Stradbroke Is on a 2 week camping and fishing trip.On one fishing trip after going through a bar crossing, which is just great fun to get through, to get out wide of the Strady, where we were fishing in 3 mtr swells. While fishing, a couple whales were breaching and playing about 300 mtrs from us which was pretty specky, in the mean time they were getting closer, so I decided to up anchor and move on.My dad said they are nothing to worry about and I said bull :c As I would, they're too playful for my liking and having 2 kids on board. :blink: So I motored away and now 3 whales were following us, it didn't matter which way I turned they were on my tail, at this time the 6 or so boats that were in the area and must of been laughing there heads of at us. :laugh: So I gunned it around a 16 ft cuddy cab with 2 guys fishing in it, as I rose up on top of a 3 mtr swell, I looked back and watched one of the whales swim upside down under this 16 ft cuddy and the whale changed to a bright light green colour of it's belly. Don't know what the guys in the cuddy were thinking, but they just froze as cuddy was dwarfed by the whale. :blush: We lost the whales at this point and we went back to fishing and laughing about what just happened. :fishing:

The second was last yearSitting at the end of my landing at Mannum at first lightFishing was slow but watching the Pelicans glide through the fog' date=' the noise of the Kookaburras, all the wildlife and the fish jumpingAbsolute Heaven and Nature at its bestHow good does it get ????[/quote']AMEN TO THAT!!!Love nothing more than sitting on the banks of the river early in the morning or late in the evening...
The second was last yearSitting at the end of my landing at Mannum at first lightFishing was slow but watching the Pelicans glide through the fog' date=' the noise of the Kookaburras' date=' all the wildlife and the fish jumpingAbsolute Heaven and Nature at its bestHow good does it get ????[/quote'']AMEN TO THAT!!!Love nothing more than sitting on the banks of the river early in the morning or late in the evening...
I can relate to that although this year over the new year the bloody mozzies were in plague proportions.:blink:

Pelicans gliding thru fog on the Murray early morning. Definitely hard to beat that ! B) Ariving at Sheringah beach after a long drive, and The Doc decides she's ready for a snozze in the camper trailer, while I go down to check out the beach, rod in hand "just in case"Got chatting to the one other guy in the area, who tells me he hasnt had a sniff for more than two days :( :S With nothing to lose I cast out a metal, and started cranking in.Suddenly remmebered a large submerged rock I snagged up on last time there, just as the line went ":dull " :whistle: Started the old tug, pull, twang , only to see a very large smabo tailwalking some distance down the beach :blink: Turns out he was on, and after finally cranking in a fish whose tail touched the sand with its jaw on my hip, the look on the others guy was NOT HAPPY JAN :pinch: :lol:

I would say a lot of people here would have to agree that the very first time you go to sea in the boat BY YOURSELF is an awesome feeling. My first time doing this was in my old 4.5m stejcraft. That feeling slowly heading out was awesome, I had a ball of adrenaline bursting my chest, then as I popped her up on the plane my head nearly got pins and needles and I lost my breath :). That day I cruised all over the place. It was middle of winter too, so bugga all people on the water. And the icy wind making my eyes water... It's great to fish with mates, and nowadays I rarely fish alone, but sometimes it's great to be by yourself either on the riverbank at dawn, sitting in a tinny waiting for a mully, making the walk out the stkilda breakwater at dawn for a winter ST, or whatever.........how's the serenity lol ;)

G'day.1: After many hours of trolling in the relentless WA heat many years ago, finally hearing that magic zz, zzz, zzzzzz, zzzzziiiiing, strike the thing, fight it, 40 min later... 50 something lb Spanish Mackerel in my hands. (I'll take this argument anywhere: they fight like a gut-shot pig, I've caught the magical Southern Bluefin Tuna and they fight nothing like an angry mackerel).2: Years of diving on hookah on the big drop-off in Shark Bay, WA. Young & full of invincibility I used to hookah over a ledge that went from 8 to 45m without a care in the world. The payoffs were 3kg crays and 20lb Dhuies, Bluebone, Coral Trout, Red Emperor and the occasional Cobia. Ask me to do the same thing today and I'll tell you to go forth and multiply.3: Getting my nice sized Snapper off metro Adelaide in 12' of water on my 3rd home-built rod thinking it was a dirty ray as it struck and continuing to eat my cold green chicken curry for breakfast. When that leader came up near the kayak and I saw a flash of fish... well... you understand.Cheers.And 4: seeing/hearing all the great reports/stories by our members of the fish that have been caught around this magical land of ours.

I have too many but one or two of the most memorable would be the missus buying me an inflatable kayak and me realising i could fish out of this( i was only new to fishing at the time and with my ugly stick clearwater 6ft 2-4kg and a couple of lures i caught salmon trout and bream in the onk estuary and that started my love for kayak fishing.2nd would have to be my first sea voyage in my invader kayak! i caught one yellowfin a 35cm bream two large squid and my finger. I loaded up the kayak on the 4by with the hook in my finger after numerous attempts at getting it out with pliers! then went to hospital and got it taken out! a great first sea voyage! :woohoo: 3. getting my dad to fish on lure at port elliot( he doesnt fish) and catch a redfin on a jackall chubby that i never caught anything on! and the next day going out in kayaks at the hindmarsh and he caught his first lure caught bream as well!

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

30012010181.jpg