Watch your Rod ?

Was at the carp ponds on river road last weekend . I had my nephew with me an he had tangled his line , as i was untangling his line i caught my rod tip buckle over and my rod start fast tracking it straight towards the water . As i do a girlie throw of the tangled line i only have time to dive for the rod butt and i dont think i would of got it if the handle didnt catch the rod rest . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxCDUklE70So.... ALWAYS WATCH YOUR ROD . lol :lol::lol::lol:

...and he's... SAFE on third :woohoo: Killa video, reckon I've watched it ten times so far :laugh: I remember about 4 months back out on the rocks at outer harbor waiting like half hour with it a nibble and was going to pull my bait out the water before walking away and having a slash... Wouldn't ya know, soon as I faced the other way something smashed the bait, clatter clatter of my rod and line peeled off 100 miles an hour... Rod got saved by a mate but the fish got off and the reel got stripped to get the salt out that night :blush: Like you say Jimbo... "always watch your rod". Great advice top post&vid

Haha good video mate, nice work on the quick reflexes!It has happened to the best of us....One time in town fishing behind the zoo,a carp ripped my rod out of the holder and dragged it across the grass to the water... then into the water, i did a massive dive into the stinky torrens and managed to get a hand on it. Started fighting the fish in the water while back paddling to the bank, handed jimmy my rod, climbed out, fought the fish and landed it.... :laugh::laugh: Would be one of my most memorable catches...Pic of me in the water, fight the fish.Posted ImageAnd said fish, bastard thing! :laugh:Posted Image

Also ' date=' spew about not landing the fish Jack and afishyfish , always sucks losing a rod . I feel for ya fella .[/quote']There is a worse way to loose a rod LOL.I was out with my grandad once fishing the murray, he had the latest and greatest boron rod from Daiwa...It was a little ultra light trout flick stick. He had a live shrimp on it and was fishing for callop, he forgott to make sure hed wound it in prior to starting the motor and engaging forward.Next thing as we take off we see the rod buckle over and the rod proceed to bend over towards the water in the rod holder and snapp, snapps clean in half lolMe and my Pa are just going ah...swear word. :f :f :f :ohmy:And then there was the time that I had my new Black diamond and went out with my mates on his tinny.I stupidly tried to fish standing up. I had left my rod standing up against the metal chair - which is just a big sheet of metal that goes across the boat.Next thing a big wave hits, I fall to my knees strait into my new rod..snap! now its got an insert into it about half way..still works a treat though..lol

Thats Just Clasic Softy :woohoo:

All I see is an arm holding a rod :laugh::laugh::laugh::clap::clap::clap::clap: Sure you're not "The lady Of The lake " holding aloft Excalibur :huh::huh::huh: Remember,Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Haha good video mate' date=' nice work on the quick reflexes!It has happened to the best of us....One time in town fishing behind the zoo,a carp ripped my rod out of the holder and dragged it across the grass to the water... then into the water, i did a massive dive into the stinky torrens and managed to get a hand on it. Started fighting the fish in the water while back paddling to the bank, handed jimmy my rod, climbed out, fought the fish and landed it.... :laugh::laugh: Would be one of my most memorable catches...Pic of me in the water, fight the fish.[img']http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11254_190165776606_586961606_3488915_6776143_n.jpg[/img]

More than your usual quote balls deep. :lol::lol::lol: :woohoo: Nearly had the same situation as a kid, but had my rod tied to my pushbike as i knew what they are capable of. :lol::lol::lol: :woohoo:

Cheers fellas Nice photography there Softy . Great save there an what a way to catch a fish (an save ya rod) . Talk about putting your self on the line and at least you saved your rod and caught the fish . I didn't manage to land the fish unfortunately . Thats why it was a quick vid .

he had to hand the rod to Jimmy.. as i was not gonna miss the opertunity to snap those pics. hahhahahahAFFAll I see is an arm holding a rodSure you're not "The lady Of The lake " holding aloft Excalibur"it was actually holding his EXCELLOR aloft '_

Thats awesome Del :laugh: . Definitely got the priorities right :laugh::laugh::laugh: As long as he was ok of course . If he was in trouble you would of been straight in there with out hesitation .

Beer bottle - bottom right of the pic.Looks like Softy lost his best friend.either that or the timing was spot on. Ie he had just finished his beer allowing him to throw the bottle on the grass and jump in. :P

Thats awesome Del :laugh: . Definitely got the priorities right :laugh::laugh::laugh: As long as he was ok of course . If he was in trouble you would of been straight in there with out hesitation .

ahem yeah... id have jumped right in.... ahem... :whistle: AFTER taking a few photos.. probably would of thrown jimmy in to save him... :evil: what else are mates for?? :evil:

yeah that reminds me of the time we were fishing at Browns in about 79 or 80 . Pitch black night and not much happenin so we were sitting back havin a couple around the fire next to the dunes and went to check the rod. Uh oh. no rod. Just a trail leading in to the water. Rod .... she gone.Never to be seen again. AND I was sure a had the drag set ???

Fishing ardrossan jetty at the end one night with my bro and two lads who were already down the end, one of these fellas turned around to see his rod was gone, he looked at us in shock :whistle: oh well.. say good bye to that and with that they left pretty pissed, rightly soanyway, next day my bro pulls up a bit of braided line from the end of his hook & on the end is a ugly stik with a tica reel, must have been that lads, (would have given it back, but they were long gone) got it home had a look at it and noticed the drag button when engaged would dis-engage when line peeled off (hence it went for a dive) after what ever dragged it in.. i'm wondering if this is a common problem with these sort of reels with similar drag settings? :whistle:

so it seems that carp do enjoy the ol pull the rod in the water trick. took a mate to our spot to catch some carp told him they are big and make sure drag is set really light! puts rod down lights up a durry and what do u see next one berkley dropshot leaping into water with 1 distressed owner after itballsdeep.jpg lucky find a few moments later and got the fish in after05062010.jpgso guess that moral of the story always watch ya rod is true