More news on super trawler!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

I agree entirely Cleaver. The problem is not the boat as such its the calculation of the quota and the vested interests involved.Funny thing is 10 smaller purseine boats from lincoln could catch the 18,000 tonne quota of mackeral and redbait and no one would know or give a toss but bring across an industrial nightmare boat to do the same thing and the excrement hits the rotary isolator!

We have the most hypocritical government and prime minister ever! This is about the worst thing ever this supertrawler, and it is totally hypocritical for the government to clear these marine parks for so-called protection for fish stocks, yet allow this supertrawler to plunder these fish stocks; this'll be the destruction of Australia's recreational and commerical fisheries. We need a government that listens to the people of Australia, not some dumb one that is pushed around by the Greens.We have a commercial fishery in place in Australia for US, for the Australian people!! We don't need a government to sell off even more of Australia for other countries!Don't get me wrong, I'm not against commercial fishing in general, but when it gets to such environmental destruction as this, and at the same time the government is closing out recreational fishers, like us, it maddens me totally!

The company is known as Seafish Pelagic and is a joint venture with a Dutch company. I mean what the fark? Why would the government allow this. This is selling our resources at its finest! If we open our door and allow this joint venture, whats to stop the next.Estimation is that the quota will total 90,000,000 individual fish plus by catch. Common thats insane!No wonder its called the Death ship. :( :pinch: :pinch: :(:(:( :S

.Funny thing is 10 smaller purseine boats from lincoln could catch the 18' date='000 tonne quota of mackeral and redbait and no one would know or give a toss but bring across an industrial nightmare boat to do the same thing and the excrement hits the rotary isolator![/quote']@ Nanman, the thing about that statement, is that apparently in West Africa, Magiris was pulling in the equivalent of 52 local subsistence "commercoal" fishermans yearly catch in ONE day, hence making that already poor area even poorer !So it should really be about keeping Jobs here, profits here, and "our" :f here too imo :)

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If there is such a big market out there for our fish why in the hell arent the australian fishing boats going for it.Whats wrong with our boats that they cant or wont go after such a lucrative market, they did with the TUNA and they did with ROCK LOBSTER,why in the hell cant they do it with the mackeral and the redbait.If our boats decided to go after these species,and market them o,seas then the money goes into AUSTRALIAN pockets instead of OVERSEAS POCKETS and there would be a far greater control over catches by people who do give a damn about our fisheries and where it is going and its sustainabilty . :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Christopher Wright Professor of Organisation Studies, University of Sydney (Professor of Organisation Studies, University of Sydney at University of Sydney) The justification for this fishing activity has not been specified. The jobs that are derived from this venture appear minimal. The catch is being exported, and the economics for it look decidedly dodgy given this ship relies on European Union subsidies to continue operation. Does the government receive any significant royalty returns as it might for a mining operation? So the return to Australia's national interest appears largely non-existent. Indeed the approval recommendation now appears marred with a conflict of interest (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-29/conflicts-of-interest-on-board-overseeing-super/4231826?section=tas)!And for this we risk the pelagic food chain around the Australian coast with some decidedly uncertain scientific estimates of the small pelagic biomass (not to mention the collateral damage re porpoises, seals etc - that will inevitably occur despite the PR spin of new technologies to avoid this). Surely the precautionary principle would suggest it is better not to allow this ship in our waters - the downside costs to our national interest appear to well out way any upside opportunities.

http://theconversation.edu.au/one-fish-two-fish-red-fish-blue-fish-science-doesnt-support-the-super-trawler-9143TB

Professor Christoper Wright has rapped it up in a nutshell.There can be no justifcation or monetry gain in allowing this ship to fish here.Hey Chuckemback, in regards to your comments i will bet my left n@#! that this will be just the begining if she is succesfull in getting her quota and i bet there will be others lining up waiting to get in.What i cannot unerstand is why our own boats are not latching on to this lucrative market,or at least jumping up and down about this ship taking what should be some of their lively hood,after all it would have to be a lot of lost $ to them would it not, :S

Burke, reading between the lines, effectively seems to be saying that he`s hopeful there will be minimal collateral damage re seals, dolphins etc.Interesting how a shark fishery area was closed down in SA over one sealThe recently closed zone, part of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery, covers an area of 18,500 km2 off Coffin Bay in South Australia. AFMA also closed zones A and B to fishing earlier this year following sea lion deaths in those zones. yet the Feds seem to be a lot more flexible? Oh wait, so is AFMA, it would appear. Obviously, when it suits.AFMA works hard to ensure that fishing operations don’t harm the environment, including sea lions and dolphins, but makes arrangements that allow fisheries to stay open as much as possible so that fishers can continue operating.Follow the money...it seems some seals and dolphins are more equal than others when there is sufficient $$$$ at stake.http://www.afma.gov.au/2012/04/afma-closes-further-areas-in-the-shark-gillnet-sector-to-protect-sea-lions-and-dolphins/But it`s...complicated....The Margiris, Dutch owned, currently Lithuanian flagged but to be reflagged in Oz, a vessel from a pelagic fishery fleet business, operating with the assistance of subsidies, will be fishing in Australian waters, for a portion of the total quota of certain species, over the derivation of said quota there being some controversy, with some Oz crew to be employed on board, to catch fish for cheap sale to Nigeria, in the vicinity of which nation fish stocks have been depleted...by vessels such as the Margiris. Although Nigeria may not be entirely blameless here, just quietly?http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=+nigeria+fish+stock+depletion&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.worldwatch.org%2Fnourishingtheplanet%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F05%2FBusiness-Day-Nigeria-fisheries-sustainable-acquaculture-Nourishing-the-Planet.pdf%3Fcda6c1&ei=ck9AUPRnia2IB-HogKAE&usg=AFQjCNHHXo9wNpjZ9JmAbfSuw8rRzmI68QOr maybe it`s just too dangerous to fish in that part of the world nowadays?http://www.afriquejet.com/illegal-fishing-nigeria-2011122930601.htmlAnd isn`t it ironic that the Greens, being ideologically in favour of one-world-governance and global wealth and resources redistribution, are against the Margiris fishing in Oz waters on environmental grounds...just a little duplicity and political opportunism there perhaps? :evil: As I said - it`s "complicated".

i have no concerns about the sinking,"disablement" of this piece of shit,the longterm devestation that it brings is far worse.FFSthe local fishers are payed off or they dont know whats going on,havent heard any fleet owners busting their gums over catch loss.its not meant to hurt dolphins,seals,take away the food source,bring on more competition between the animalsgood one fyukcni

im over everythingno matter were i go,look,dothe government wants to kill life offand make us pay the bloody billthe young dont know yetyet the wisened politicians doscabseg.refrigerants have incurred charges lately,the public pays for it,the manufacturer makes components that last five years due to the government stipulating more effiency from goods,given the star rating standard thats been upgraded three times. if this seems terse,ask your local politician or business owner.sorry from detracting from the original post new topic please mods

Christopher Wright Professor of Organisation Studies' date=' University of Sydney (Professor of Organisation Studies, University of Sydney at University of Sydney) The justification for this fishing activity has not been specified. The jobs that are derived from this venture appear minimal. The catch is being exported, and the economics for it look decidedly dodgy given this ship relies on European Union subsidies to continue operation. Does the government receive any significant royalty returns as it might for a mining operation? So the return to Australia's national interest appears largely non-existent. Indeed the approval recommendation now appears marred with a conflict of interest (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-29/conflicts-of-interest-on-board-overseeing-super/4231826?section=tas)!And for this we risk the pelagic food chain around the Australian coast with some decidedly uncertain scientific estimates of the small pelagic biomass (not to mention the collateral damage re porpoises, seals etc - that will inevitably occur despite the PR spin of new technologies to avoid this). Surely the precautionary principle would suggest it is better not to allow this ship in our waters - the downside costs to our national interest appear to well out way any upside opportunities.[/quote']http://theconversation.edu.au/one-fish-two-fish-red-fish-blue-fish-science-doesnt-support-the-super-trawler-9143TB
That says it all, but then since when does potential profit " listen " to sense :S

Interesting how a shark fishery area was closed down in SA over one sealThe recently closed zone' date=' part of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery, covers an area of 18,500 km2 off Coffin Bay in South Australia. AFMA also closed zones A and B to fishing earlier this year following sea lion deaths in those zones.[/color'] yet the Feds seem to be a lot more flexible? Oh wait, so is AFMA, it would appear. Obviously, when it suits.AFMA works hard to ensure that fishing operations don’t harm the environment, including sea lions and dolphins, but makes arrangements that allow fisheries to stay open as much as possible so that fishers can continue operating.Follow the money...it seems some seals and dolphins are more equal than others when there is sufficient $$$$ at stake.

Kon, I have spoken to Chris Thomas from DENR about this topic.Our state commercial fishers rarely catch sea lions, its the Commonwealth fisheries that are estimated to kill over 300 sea lions a year.Seems AFMA have a different environmental view to fisheries that go into state coffers than ones that their snouts are firmly stuck in?TB

{1} Asked the question yesterday and i will ask the question again today, if there is money to be made from fishing these species of fish why in the hell arn,t our own fishers out there doing it and making the money instead of these overseas ships that we are all complaining about.{2}If we are going to talk about quotas,then lets ask a question of who is allocating these so called quotas and to who.{3}If the quotas are being allocated to local boats then is it not unreasonable to assume that these quotas are not being not being met and therefor o,seas allowcations are being granted.{4}Why are we not getting a lot more responce from these proffesional fishers who seem to be very quite for some reason ,most of the arguments seems to be comming from amateur fishers and these so called tree huggers{5}So many questions and no straight answers [i wonder why?????]{6} ok thats my lot for the day...REGARDS ..KHOMBI :ohmy: :huh::unsure: :c

Im surprised that the ship was actually allowed to Berth at Pt Lincon :huh: Sureley any of the Unions involved could have black-listed the ship , meaning it couldnt take on the supplies needed ?That was a great oppurunity missed imo :( :evil: Great to see Lee Rayner leadinga large protest today.I fear it would probbaly take a High Court challenge tho to have any real hope of making this monstrosity go away :pinch:

{1} Asked the question yesterday and i will ask the question again today' date=' if there is money to be made from fishing these species of fish why in the hell arn,t our own fishers out there doing it and making the money instead of these overseas ships [/quote']Maybe they simply make more money catching what they currently do :huh::unsure:

It would a simple thing for the Federal Goverment to just say no to this ship but they wont do it,this situation will not go away at least not in the short term.There has to be some financial gain it for them to reject the voice of the people who they are supposed to represent,SO MUCH FOR BEING THE PEOPLES PARTY, and now latest their forray is they have sold off Cubby Station to bloody Chinese and no tax payable and guaranteed rights to water when they need it,I feel that we are being treated like mushrooms, fed on bullshit and kept in the dark :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hi tacklebags,good to read your response,but i must ask the question,is it not in their interest to stand up and protest along side of the rest of us,afterall its in their best interest as well as ours. the protest has to come from both them and us if this is ever going to be succesfull,they could end up being worse off than the rest of us if the this ship fills it quota and other ships come here and are given the right to fish.As my daddy used to say. No good shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. B) :ohmy:

What i am having trouble accepting is this Government had to get in bed with the Greens to get in , and has had to implement some of their cooked up ideas as a trade off[and the libs sucked them but not quite as hard] then against all the lovey dubby hippie tree loving shite trend did this environmental rape crap.Complete cash grab by people determined to screw everything an anyone over in the search of a dollar.....no shame...no concience......wherever there is a dollar involved theyll sell themselves and anything else..dam the f%%%%%.I"m so dam dissapointed . :angry:Posted Image