Two huge illegal snapper hauls uncovered (VIC)

A mate of mine pointed this article out to me this morning.http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Fishing/VIC-Two-huge-illegal-snapper-hauls-uncovered_6015592.aspxMy jaw is still on the table. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!Well done on the fisheries who caught these scum bags..My proposal for the seized boats / cars.Rip the engine/s and sounder/GPS off and sell them off. Then, tow the boat and cars in the area they fished and sink them.Give the snapper (that are remaining) a new home.I am still dumb founded that the VIC size limit for snapper is only 28cm. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSAnd no wonder they don’t get the regular BIG REDS, COS THEY DONT HAVE A CHANCE TO GROW!!!!!!!GRRRRRRant over...

I am still dumb founded that the VIC size limit for snapper is only 28cm. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSAnd no wonder they don’t get the regular BIG REDS' date=' COS THEY DONT HAVE A CHANCE TO GROW!!!!!!!GRRRRRRant over...[/quote']It might mean the Vics dont come over here as much after the SA fish too :whistle:

65 out of 81 Snapper were undersized measuring below 28cm????? Hardly worth trying to eat at that size let alone the illegal aspect!!It still puzzles me as to why the legal length in Victoria is 28cm. Hope they throw the damned book at these idiots!! It's people like these tossers who, when they get caught, cause the restrictions on those who do the right thing to be tightened. Morons!!!

A 5 year old Vic Paper attached, makes for interesting reading from the SA perspective, includingBoat limits are not widely used as a tool for managing recreational finfish fisheries in Australia. Victoria has never used boat limits for any recreational finfish species, and the only other Australian state that currently uses boat limits for finfish species is South Australia. The snapper boat limit in South Australia is equal to three times the personal daily bag limit.While boat limits appear to be an elegant way of controlling a particular type of illegal fishing behaviour, there are several practical difficulties in applying such limits:• - A boat limit would not completely address the problem of non-fishing ‘passengers’ being used to circumvent personal bag/possession limits (for example, a boat limit equivalent to three times the personal bag limit may be viewed by an unscrupulous boat fisher with two passengers as an opportunity to take three times his/her bag limit).• - Effective enforcement of boat limits – particularly laying of charges and successful prosecution of boat limit offences – is compromised if it cannot be clearly established which member(s) of a boat party are in possession of the fish on board the boat. A recreational abalone fishing boat limit (and vehicle limit) previously in force in Victoria was recently revoked because of this difficulty.So 5 people in a boat, 5 times the bag...The current legal minimum size of 27 cm for both recreational and commercial snapper fishing in Victoria was first introduced in 1971 and has remained unchanged (apart from conversion of the limit from inches to centimetres) for more than 35 years. The original reason for introducing this limit is not known.That sounds like it`s based on definitive research. :evil: Although Victoria’s long standing minimum size limit for snapper fishing is significantly below the average size at which a majority of female snapper first spawn (about 40 cm total length), there is no evidence that this limit has led to adverse impacts on the spawning capacity of snapper, or that the size limit currently needs to be increased for stock conservation reasons.So there, we say so.Option E. Legal minimum length of 40 cm - this option will result in a 40% - 83% reduction in the number of snapper able to be retained by recreational fishers, and an associated increase in the number of released snapper. It would effectively close the pinkie snapper fisheries in Port Phillip Bay and Western Port bay.So let`s keep catching the small ones...In South Australia a one month closure (November) has been applied to all SA waters to help reduce total annual fishing pressure on declining snapper stocks.I thought it was for another reason, never mind.In Victoria area or seasonal closures have rarely been used to manage recreational fisheries for mobile saltwater species such as snapper. This is partly because other management tools (e.g. size and catch limits) have been considered to be more effective than closures in limiting fishing pressure, and partly because of the possible significant negative economic and social impacts of applying substantial fishing closures – particularly in regional Victoria.One way of looking at it.Given that there are currently no concerns regarding the status of Victorian snapper stocks, and that other management tools (e.g. catch and size limits) are probably more effective than closures in defining responsible recreational snapper fishing or discouraging illegal catch and sale of snapper, no further consideration will be given to area or seasonal closures in the current review of snapper management arrangements.Yeah, whatever...obviously enough of them around in Vic to justify a patently different approach than in SA;http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/innovation-and-research/victorian-snapper-stock-assessment-summary-2011Still reckon 28cm is ludicrous, though!

SnapperDiscussionPaper.pdf

In South Australia a one month closure (November) has been applied to all SA waters to help reduce total annual fishing pressure on declining snapper stocks.I thought it was for another reason' date=' never mind.[/quote']I thought it was done so the Pros could smash the :c out of the spawning schools immesiately after the ban ended :whistle: :dry:

and this is why victorians flock here in droves during december/january, because they dont get to grow anywhere as big over there! I had no idea 28cm was their legal length, stupidity at its finest.. had a good laugh watching some videos on youtube of victorian snapper fishing, where they carry on when they catch a decent panny lol, they would most likely have a cardiac episode or get pulled overboard if they got a beast we have here! :laugh: i hope these idiots get everything they deserve :angry: On a similar topic, i recently procured a good amount of whiting heads from a VERY well known fish monger (for free), but after trying some when crabbing at Wallaroo last weekend I was very suprised to realise how small they were, theres no way they came from legal sized whiting! Does anyone even inspect the pro's catches?! :huh:

Yorke anglerFWIW - before I moved to SA 3 years ago, my (still a Vic) mate and I had been coming to SA a couple of times a year since about 2000.It was about all of these - the quality of fishing overall, the scenery, the remoteness, having a holiday out of state and getting away from rubbing shoulders with hordes of other boats.From our perspective anyway, it was way more than just because of bigger snaps.Left lots of money behind in regional SA over the years to do it, too... ;) And (heh heh!), you said

...I was very suprised to realise how small they were, theres no way they came from legal sized whiting! Does anyone even inspect the pro's catches?!

Of course they do...just like they comprehensively police metro landbased with all those manpower resources they have... :whistle: Although by the sound of it I reckon that was probably the very catch inspected by PIRSA to determine that 72 whiting equates to 7 kilos of fillets for Possession Limit purposes! :evil:

So Bream and snapper grow to the same size? Does anyone know roughly how much length snapper put on per year? It would be interesting if they reached breeding size over a year after they could be taken. That was catch and kill mentality at it's most extreme. those are the people who put a knife in the side of a red mullet and throw it back because its not a whiting!

Yorke anglerFWIW - before I moved to SA 3 years ago' date=' my (still a Vic) mate and I had been coming to SA a couple of times a year since about 2000.It was about all of these - the quality of fishing overall, the scenery, the remoteness, having a holiday out of state and getting away from rubbing shoulders with hordes of other boats.From [b']our[/b] perspective anyway, it was way more than just because of bigger snaps.Left lots of money behind in regional SA over the years to do it, too... ;) And (heh heh!), you said

...I was very suprised to realise how small they were, theres no way they came from legal sized whiting! Does anyone even inspect the pro's catches?!

Of course they do...just like they comprehensively police metro landbased with all those manpower resources they have... :whistle: Although by the sound of it I reckon that was probably the very catch inspected by PIRSA to determine that 72 whiting equates to 7 kilos of fillets for Possession Limit purposes! :evil:
Hey Kon, cheers for the reply.. I respect you saying you come here for a holiday etc, its certainly a great place to visit for a fishing trip! And hell everyone needs a holiday lol, and im sure oure our regional friends greatly appreciate tourists income B) But its very well known that alot of people were coming here to stock up on big snapper to avoid the possession laws, i even talked to a bloke at the pt victoria pub who openly bragged thats why him and his mates come here every year! like everything though, i suppose a few give the rest a bad name..thats life unfortunately.Re: my whiting heads though, if they were inspected the guy needs better glasses, i kid you not some weren't bigger than a 10c piece! :huh:
But its very well known that alot of people were coming here to stock up on big snapper to avoid the possession laws' date=' i even talked to a bloke at the pt victoria pub who openly bragged thats why him and his mates come here every year! like everything though, i suppose a few give the rest a bad name..thats life unfortunately.[/quote']Hopefully we wont be seeing posession limits applied to SA snapper because Vic is behind the 8 ball on sizing regulations :pinch: At least it shows PIRSAs doing a few things right, even if they do cop some flack at times ;)B)
Yorke_angler - your response to my "clarification/dummy-spit" post very well received.I did say "from our perspective"! ;) Sadly I think you are right in what you say, there would be others who come over to do exactly as per your anecdotal account - why did Alan Souter (among others, I hear) crack the shits and kickstart the whole PosLimits thing? Same reason. Well, in part anyway, but we won`t go there...Caveat - this will no doubt ruffle a few (fellow) Croweater feathers, but I have said it before - lots of SA-registered boats get hitched up for a tow out West too.Just sayin`...aff

Hopefully we wont be seeing posession limits applied to SA snapper because Vic is behind the 8 ball on sizing regulations

Hopefully the new snapper regs will sort out that issue.Please, Lord!
affJust for youhttp://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/marine-and-estuarine-scale-fish/flathead-all-species-except-dusky-flatheadhttp://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/marine-and-estuarine-scale-fish/dusky-flathead :)

affJust for youhttp://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/marine-and-estuarine-scale-fish/flathead-all-species-except-dusky-flatheadhttp://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/marine-and-estuarine-scale-fish/dusky-flathead :)

Thanks Kon I think :dry: :S :PAt least you're only allowed one Boar fish' date=' but then again who'd want one ! ?Must be the Mexican way of thinking :whistle: :lol:Maybe a bity off topic sorry, but this is interesting from The Vic site [u']Common Name/s: Australian herring (Tommy rough) Scientific Name: Arripis georgianus Minimum legal size: no minimum Bag/possession limit: a total limit of 20 Australian herring and/or Australian salmon. [/u]as was this Common Name/s: Garfish Scientific Name: Hemiramphidae Minimum legal size: no minimum Bag/possession limit: 40 It would seem they tend towards a lower minimum size, if any, asa well as a lower Bag limit , at least on some species.Interesting how they combine the Tommies and ST's. That must save a few arguments ;)B)