Has Strike&Hook caught you a fish?

Of course only YOU can catch a fish :laugh::P With all the healthy and unhealthy discussion, the secrets kept and the ones shared, how has this site affected your fishing???Plenty of talk on here about bait and tackle and techniquePlenty of friendships made and private groups established. I'd love to hear the stories of the boat rides offered, the PMs given or just the general fishing success you can attribute to trolling this site when you'd rather be trolling a lure. For me I'd say that Rickster and Jimbojames fired me up to once again waste some time trying to get a legal mulloway.... And I did :) and am still addicted 8months on :laugh: Piratepom reported on some Australian salmon (not sts) out metro and the next week I found em :)HSV884 is someone I got chatting to on the rocks and strike and hook came up in conversation and we've been feeding each other tips ever since. Cheers to those guysAnd just generally it's good to hear reports from the metro areas I fish, because a picture of a 40cm bream revs me up to try harder

Great post Jack :clap: Only coming across Strike & Hook last year when I caught the fishing bug I am a complete amature. The amount of info I've gathered from the site has been astounding, whether it's searching through old threads or posting up a "How do I catch this" or "Where to catch that" thread, I've had nothing but help from lots of fishos on here.Fisrt time I ran into someone from the site was back when I decided to go to a MPLAG meeting down at Aldinga, ran into a bunch of suss lookin blokes, I recognised JimboJames as I too had been following his posts on his Mully adventures, then was introduced to Banga and Mully Madness. Had a couple of fishing catch ups (one of which I'm sure a couple of us are lucky to come back from alive ;) ) and look forward to catching up again.I regularly catch up with Waterboy, Woody, Flubba and who ever else shows up on a Sunday at the Onk. I've only seen 1 big mully run which unfortunately spat the bait, but I AM HOOKED!!! This year I'm keen to target mullies, might not have any luck but watchin a few of the die hards goin for mullies I've learnt a few things that should help me out.I love the boat threads, so much so that I bought an old trashed boat as a restoration project, probably won't see water for ages, hard work but I love it.When I started fishing, it was bream, bream, bream after reading on here and talking to S&Hers I've changed that to, bream, whiting, mullet, tommies, st's, leather jackets, now looking forward to upsizing my catches to something a little larger :)Sorry about the long winded write up folks but thanks for all the inspiration and help, definitely made me a happy fisher.and UHF we'll catch up for a fish some day :lol:

I have had mixed experiences personally. There have been members that have have openly helped me with spots / techniques and in one person's case taken me out numerous times on their boat, which resulted in my PB snapper. There have been some great friendships forged as a result. I won't name these members as I don't wish them to be hounded for information. Their spots will follow me to the grave, as I believe trust should be earnt not assumed. I have also reciprocated with information where possible from my puddle of knowledge (in comparison).On a separate note I have taken a S&H member on my boat out to one of my spots on a strict agreement that it was to be kept confidential. A number of months later I find that spot posted on the internet by the member despite promises to keep it quiet... understandably :c off with this situation.That in itself has really soured the experience for me, and I am now very cautious about distributing information to others.

Nice topic Jack.The Strike and Hook site has directly led me to catching fish. Site member Shauno organised a charter last year which led to several site members catching big Snapper.Now some may say ‘easy to catch fish on a charter’ and that may or may not be the case but that day 3 amazing things happened.1. Watching my son catch some big Snapper :woohoo: :clap: 2. Catching a 10kg+ Snapper :woohoo: :woohoo: :clap::clap: 3. And this was the most rewarding, catching a Snapper on my new combo which was bought on direct advice from the tackle night and was my first Snapper on a soft plastic. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :clap::clap::clap: Happy day.

most definatly has helped in a few ways1 caught my first bream with ranger in his boat ( thank you sir) and my last bream to hahaha 2 caught a few callop i would not have caught otherwise on the LMLFC weekends ( great bunch of blokes there to..3 finatic put me in the right place with the right knowlage to catch my first kingy at port augustanow lets look at how it hasnt helped 1 its ruined my marriage as all i do now is talk shit on here and buy boats or tackle2 savings non existant3 love life hmmm does a warm lap top count hahaha but seriously a great place to have a yarn purchase stuff at the right price and talk meaningless dribble that only us fishos understand... :boot:

No doubt some of the advice given is meant to be of a helpful nature, but can anyone really tell me how to put a fish on the end of my line? Just joking, having a great time going out with the kids and trying to snap up an fish, but I must scare them away or maybe I should try and fish at the right times? Seems every time I go out, to west lakes no one is out there.Tried several different spots but only getting bites and no grabs... Still it's fun trying and have learn't a bit about what riggging to use and what bait, although yet to try some like shrimp or is it prawns? Anyway got to give that a go one day, and by the smell of my frozen bait, I think I might be going to get it soon...

Well Jack as you know we went out fishing to a not so secret spot in the port. Well timed advice from your old man led to me catching a nice bream :clap: I believe it was something along the lines of keeping my rod tip high so you dont get busted off on the rocks! It worked and I caught a fish from it!

Haha don't listen to him mate he's got the biggest swelled head in fishing history hahaha he has some kind of incredible pommie luck and somehow managed to win our family fishing cup this year with an unspeakable number of snapper, mulloway and a Bronzie last twelve months..... I'm getting sick of picture messages at work and leaving meetings to answer my phone to him going "you beauty! Check out the picture I'm sending through". :pinch: Bloody retired fisho's... Nothing worse :P

... A fishing workshop would be agreat idea.... you kow.. if anyone.... had... been... thinking about doing it?*Sheepish look at the older blokes*By older i mean experience the amount of grey hair/hair does not come into play here so no more PMs about how I shall soon be getting the blue rinse :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :cheer: :laugh:

For me the depth of information available is amazing,especially when it comes to tackle but having fished a fair bit, spots etc I have a good idea of, so most is a top-up on techniques etc for me :) At the same time, a few members have been quite helpful with spots etc too :):clap::clap:

good topic Jackhope to report next week on our first catch of something edible with a bit of advise from AFF

I hope the Topic doesnt change toHas Strike and Hook NOT helped you catch a fish from it :pinch: :blush: :whistle: You're welcome 10snake01 :)

Well where do i Start.... well i guess at the start LOLi have been on this forum now for well over 2 years... I got put onto this site by Waterboy (mark) who to this day are still good friends....Some of my closet friends to date (well all of them) are fellas/ladies i have met from SH.. All the banga crew have been good mates for the last year and we can see ourselves fishing still together for the next 30-40 years.. We have all learnt new techniques and experiences from each other and its only been in the winter that we hit the fresh and smashed it... As for the site it has helped me alot, As Carps said it hasnt helped my pay packet each weeke though.. it gets addictive looking through the site seeing what people have bought and you just have to go out and buy it and give it a go yourself :D :D.. But yeh as people know i am always willing to show the way with tips and showing them the ways of the art of fishing... I have met plenty of good people on this site, some i know only by username but hoping to get out and get a chance with alot of you guys... (rickster, Jack, AFF, 4THALOVE etc etc) and i know that if i keep giving good things and helping people on the site i know good karma willcome back my way :)SO thank you to everyone ive met, spoke to fished with etc,,, for making my fishing experiences more enjoyable and ines to remember for along time :)O and thanks to AAron for getting the site up and running :)

I hope the Topic doesnt change toHas Strike and Hook NOT helped you catch a fish from it hey AFFthat will not come from us(hope it was in jest) thats just not the way we rollif you have followed my posts over last 12 months you will notice we are honest family orientated ex country couple been thru the tuff times raised kids raised grandkids raised siblings home cared for parents buried 5 in 2 weeks etc etc now on our own & looking forward to our time even with our own health probs.we dont winge and have always thanked everyone for the advicesorry for the rantpoppa snake

I hope the Topic doesnt change toHas Strike and Hook NOT helped you catch a fish from it hey AFFthat will not come from us(hope it was in jest) thats just not the way we rollif you have followed my posts over last 12 months you will notice we are honest family orientated ex country couple been thru the tuff times raised kids raised grandkids raised siblings home cared for parents buried 5 in 2 weeks etc etc now on our own & looking forward to our time even with our own health probs.we dont winge and have always thanked everyone for the advicesorry for the rantpoppa snake

Much love to ya poppa snake.... I'm not even sure AFF himself knows what he means sometimes :laugh: I'm certain it wasn't intended the way it came accross ;)On a better note; That gps is full of spots from the previous owner and I haven't really sussed it out. If any of them spots are any good, do let us know (that's ME only via PM :laugh::laugh: )Cheers

Yup, as i said in my last posthttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/23-freshwater-fishing/178872-torrens-redfinDefinatley a fantastic freshwater section on SH and has inspired me to get out a catch a few fish not far from home which i never knew i could previously. So much good info on here to help fishos get onto a couple of fish :clap:

jack anyone who says no they are liars :) so many times i will be reading a post and say im gonna try that next time and ive been fishing for nearly 40 years and thought i knew everything :dry: how wrong was i lol i learn something new everyday now im a computer nerd B) great site and cant go a day without visiting it :) so many good like minded mates ive met also keep up the good wook B)

Okay as an additional edit to my first post, I would say YES now. This morning I hooked my first fish, using advice given on here and abroad... Only thing that stopped me from landing the fish was my knot tying skills. I was fishing this morning at West lakes near Bower Road, at around 6am. Hooked the fish a little later but the fish got away. So if anyone catches a fish in West lakes with a #4 Mustad Long Shank Baitholder hook in it's mouth (no fishing line), I'd like to see a pic of the one that got away :D If possible can I have the hook back too :P You can keep the fish.Now off to practise my knot tying.

Absolutely . I always liked flicking lures around for a fresh water fish , had caught a few redfin but after meeting some legendary fellas from S&H i have gone off to catch most of my pb's an first's including trout brown an rainbow . I also spend a lot more time out fishing and not in trouble thanks to S&H . It was catching mullys and chatting to waterboy that bought the S&H site to my attention and i cant thank him enough . Special mention to the banga's and a couple of other fellas too .

Im not sure if the sight has helped me catch any new species that I havent caught before, but it has taught me a lot about locations and techniques. Although Im yet to fish for mullies again down the onk, I feel that Jimbo's threads have given me the insight and confidence to have a crack down the track and I cant thank him enough for that.I want to thank Samboman for showing me a thing or two on trout, and I also want to thank Boyo for showing me that the real enjoyment of Snapper fishing is the fishing side of it and not just the results. I also want to thank Bigred for showing me the Ardrossan scene and again Ive learnt alot about fishing over there. Mate you are a true gun!And to any other snapper fisho's who have helped me, you know who you are.Kingfish is next on my wishlist and with the help of some members on here, Im sure I can achieve that dream. :clap::clap::clap::clap: Moderators and Aaaron, well done on keeping this the best fishing site in Aus. :cheer: :cheer: Cheers.Brett

The site has helped me to spend many cold, wet nights during winter sitting on my bum on the cold rocks not catching a Mulloway, so thanks guys! :P:P But seriously, the advice I have gotten from here has helped me streamline my processes before I head out and I intend to keep putting in the hours until I finally get one of those elusive Silver Ghosts.

Learned a load of stuff on this site. I reckon it's great.After hearing people talking about the use of unweighted baits, I decided to give it a bit of a go. The result? My first legal bream caught on pilchards!More recently, guys like rickster have helped me out and I now have a mully set up that I feel comfortable with.I love logging on and looking at the fantastic results many of our guys gave here on the site. I feel honoured to be a part of such a great group of guys.

Learned a load of stuff on this site. I reckon it's great. I love logging on and looking at the fantastic results many of our guys gave here on the site. I feel honoured to be a part of such a great group of guys.

Well Said Breambo!! Totally agree. This site has not only put me on to a few fish but has oepned up a whole knew knoweldge base to what I previously thought was out of my League.There has been so many helpful people on the site and to name them all would be too hard!But firstly and this is certainly more recently. I must thank urhookedfish and Jewiehunter. (They will know the conversation we had.) They haven't nescessarily helped me catch a fish but has basically made the decision for me on what my next Combo will be. Which I have no doubt will put me onto a few awesome fish!People like Alexczarn. Which are always up for a chat and ready to exchange tips. Mate your Redfin posts have been getting better and better. You are a truly talneted Fisho keep at it mate. I am sure you will crack that Kilo+ Reddie in no time!!All the moderators and Aaron for keeping this such an amazing site. But I would like to escpecially thank Jack! He has been nothing but helpful and kind to me on this site and is really an excellent person! Everyone else on this site I would like to thank if you helped me in the past it has helped me become such a more info based Fisherman! Thanks everyone TT
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah not sure its helped me so much as catch the fish but definatley has inspired me too try different things id never really lure fished before they last 18 months or so and now 9/10 times its all i do caught some cracker fresh and salt water fish with some top blokes ive met on here and reckon ill meet alot more aswell as for info though im not really 1 too go on about spot x or the likes i understand some poeple dont like others taking peopler too "their" spots and respect that aswell i just dont fish those areas when ive got people with me which isnt hard and keeps everyone happy been put onto some good spots through sh and also made me feel good putting a few other fellas onto fish they hadnt managed too crack yet or just coudlnt find concistantley either way love the place and cant get enough of it just ask my wife on second thoughts please dont :evil: :whistle:

yeah not sure its helped me so much as catch the fish but definatley has inspired me too try different things id never really lure fished before they last 18 months or so and now 9/10 times its all i do caught some cracker fresh and salt water fish with some top blokes ive met on here and reckon ill meet alot more aswell as for info though im not really 1 too go on about spot x or the likes i understand some poeple dont like others taking peopler too "their" spots and respect that aswell i just dont fish those areas when ive got people with me which isnt hard and keeps everyone happy been put onto some good spots through sh and also made me feel good putting a few other fellas onto fish they hadnt managed too crack yet or just coudlnt find concistantley either way love the place and cant get enough of it just ask my wife on second thoughts please dont :evil: :whistle:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: so so true

S&H gets me keen to wet a line and has helped me to think 'outside the square' so to speak when the fish just dont play ball, lots of ideas from different people gives you so many ways to catch the same fish! Has S&H caught me a fish? Well no, i only catch fish when i go fishing. I've eaten fish in the lounge room but never caught 1 as of yet :laugh: , im sure some of you could catch a fish from or in ya lounge room but not me :lol: Think its great that so many people like to give out info and help others get onto a fish but can no longer read any thread about rods, reels, lures etc (read as 'broke') I spent a while just reading this forum as im sure alot out there do, to those out there doing that i recomend you become an active member of a great site as you wont regret it, just dont give out you fav spot :dry: :whistle: p.s. not me in earlier post