How's your winter fishing been going so far?

We are seeing some good winter reports but as it is every winter when the fine weather fishos go into hibernation the reports do slow down a bit.

So far my winter has been pretty dismal. Not much caught out on the water and really poor results from my favourite local salmon beach. Some of this may be due to utilising gentlemens hours and fishing only when I get the chance.

How has everyone's winter been? Have you caught your target species or landed the PB you were after?

One word.......crap.

I have either been working, sick or when I do get out I keep catching bugger all.

Hoping to get stretched this weekend, but looks like I might have to work Saturday.

Hopefully the Port isn't still shutdown from the bloodworm run, but both Saturday and Sunday look like getting a few showers and winds up to 40kmh.

Might set up the 2.1m stunt kite and hunt seagulls instead.

I've had a few donut sessions and had some ripper fish in between. Highlights are the kilo bream from the Pat, loads of salmon at Waits, a few brown trout and my first cod over the weekend. Lowlights are probably metro salmon fishing at the moment and missing out on an Augusta trip due to bad weather

Had a cracker few sessions on the whiting and squid over at pt Hughes but the boat is out of action at the moment, ripping up and replacing the floor ready for summer as well as school has kept me off the water for a few months now, closest thing to fishing i've had was a quick couple hours on the OH breakwater picking up a few squid! Time to focus on another fun weekend with the diamond tip cutting blade and sanding disk, then another weekend filled with water and acetone followed by the joyous times lying ahead with resin and fibreglass  <_<  <_<  

Only done a few sessions. Another wade saturday gone and the STs were thick but only averaging 25-30cm when i wanted the bigger ones. Could only weed out 1 larger at 41cm even after upgrading to 5in Jerkshads which they just destoyed too quickly.

Might head to Deep Creek friday.

Couldnt find any bloodworms LB Sun and thankfully Piratepom gave us a live report and suggested it wasnt worth going last night!

Been busy on the dinghy project where I can, lately. Haven't chased redfin or carp, but a few weeks ago

tried Mundoo & Beacon 19 jetties with SP grubs, HB minnows & small metals for STs. Too much weed to do any good,

but caught first ST on minnow at Mundoo & first ST on grub at B19, none yet on metals, as dense rafts of weed got in the way on

all 3 occasions. Still worthwhile for those two firsts, tho'

ST145B19.jpg

IMGP0245.jpg

The summer wasnt great for me on the reds front, only managing 1 fish after the ban (none in 2015). :(

This winter however, i'm making up for a dismal summer and having the bestarrow-10x10.png winter whiting seasons to date :D

Been out 7 times and managedarrow-10x10.png (over a 3 month period), and we've managed to get 1 bag limit of 24, 20, 18, 15, 12, 5 and another 17 on the weekend.

Some big squid were also around this weekend. We managed 23. Got them homearrow-10x10.png and the asky had a bit of weight to it...they ended up weighing 11kg's all up :huh:
plenty freeze bags with only 2 in them. I'll be cleaning dinner when i get home tonight.

Plenty to go around for the family and future bait on the reds, crabs and future whiting aka leather jacket sessions.

In amongst the whiting we are bringing home 3 or 4 red mullet everytime and leather jackets are just driving us mental.....

So this has been the best winter for me personally :D
I will put up a photo of tonights dinner tomorrow :P

Below pic was the 20 whiting session B)

2015 Winter Whiting.jpg

I have hardly been out :mellow: work, kids etc

had a good trip on tuna & snapper of the cape end march :D

Couldn't get the trailer lights to work on a trip to Pt Mac after complete rewiring of trailer in june  :angry:

Had my mate boat rods van ready to roll gave up at 11 with disco lights :unsure:

The old lights were fine rewired for nothing needed resister pack

weather was 4 kn 150kg tuna & that swordfish caught next day :o  

Few other trips fizzled before they started

Finally got the boat wet on Sunday down Jervis

Couldn't catch any squid tried going to tunks to shelter from NE but wind chop stoped that idea

Fished the straight for a while on the change very slow :(  got a 73 cm red rugger & few reefies

Tried a new snapper jig lasted till it hit the bottom snagged instantly :blink:

Then couldn't get the van up the ramp for 10 mins with the water police laughing as they retrieved there big cat :o

Was thinking of starting the boat to help push LOL

A few coppers jumped on the drawbar & I clawed my way up :lol:

VERY disappointed :(  the BIG question is will extra 200kg in the back make the difference or will I need to buy extra car just to launch!!!

Never had a problem with my old van :rolleyes:

This winter has been average. Haven't gone for a saltwater fish for ages and the freshwater scene has been the most fickle fishing I've ever dealt with. Either a donut or pulling them in hand over fist. All good fish, had 6 or more Reds over 34cm the other night. Haven't landed a fish under 20cm in a few weeks.

All I can complain about is the temp this year!! Feels like the coldest ever to me!! Actually got some damage to my fingertips after a late night carp sesh last week.... Slight frostbite I rekin... Nothing too serious though hopefully. For me to be affected, it does say something! I've worked in snap/ blast freezers the

Last 14 years without taking much damage at all... But this feels the worst I've e dr done!! By far!

Hi guys,

Got a bucket load of ST's, a few mullet and one 60cm (from memory) mully from inside the coorong opposite hindmarsh island. It was our first time down there we packed the swags, some wood, chucked it in the boats and set up camp. what a great spot! but man it was cold haha! Then more recently down salt creek, crossing at 42 mile and heading north. got only a couple of salmon, a couple soapies, a 4ft wide melbourne skate that had me chasing it a quarter mile down the beach (cooking and fishing dont always go hand in hand, any longer before checking the reel and I wouldve been spooled)!. But to top it off was a 73cm mully, almost brought a tear to my eye releasing that one back out to the surf! Ive managed a couple legals before and let a third go so no biggy but was pretty keen on a feed that trip! heading down again this weekend who knows maybe he's grown another couple cm's and will make the 3rd addition to my oven! Love fishing this time of year!

11209431_10153404022814673_198084972431115598_10153404022889673_329348590167605511400970_10153513755549673_272217317120411796208_10153602134804673_3673080882271

Wish I could say a fish did that.... Trying to take a photo in the heavy rain, on a steep bank, camera went flat, had 4 tourches shining in my face to video and screenshot with iPad 2... (No flash) 12 at night.... Slipped, nearly stepped into the water, quickly stepped the other way... Felt my reel as I was about to fall over... Tried not to put weight on it....

Let's just say... Took a swim and ended up with a broken luvias.... #*+%k

Almost lost the fish too....

Shitty walk back with 4 wet pairs of trackies, 1 thermal top, 3 shirts, a jumper and jacket all soaked! Plus 2 drenched bags of gear.....

Very bad day!! (Or night)

Whatttt!! Don't you hate it when a good days fishing turns into s**t...  :censored: A couple of weeks ago when I was at the Coorong, we were catching salmon after salmon off the Yak. On the way back in, we hit the waves side on and you guessed it.... There goes my Symetre 2500 spooled with 6lb Fins Braid with my Shimano Dinamix Bream rod.. :censored: James also lost his Lox Yoshi 1-3kg and a Shimano 1000 reel (forgot the name). My phone was filled with water, we lost all our fish, pliers, scissors and a net.  :( 
The next day we had to use our surf rods lol.. We had worked out that over $500 worth of gear was gone. 

Whatttt!! Don't you hate it when a good days fishing turns into s**t...  :censored: A couple of weeks ago when I was at the Coorong, we were catching salmon after salmon off the Yak. On the way back in, we hit the waves side on and you guessed it.... There goes my Symetre 2500 spooled with 6lb Fins Braid with my Shimano Dinamix Bream rod.. :censored: James also lost his Lox Yoshi 1-3kg and a Shimano 1000 reel (forgot the name). My phone was filled with water, we lost all our fish, pliers, scissors and a net.  :( 

The next day we had to use our surf rods lol.. We had worked out that over $500 worth of gear was gone.

Spewing mate!! Should have gone back with a mask and snorkel!

Rod leashes and a water proof case for your phone. ;)