HEALTHY MULLOWAY CHAT. BRING YER THEORIES AND A PIC MAYBE

As the title suggests, this is a call to all you mulloway fishos. The donut eaters and the scorers alike.How do you al;- Get the schoolies- Get the legalies- Get the two fist up the gills trophies- Beaches, jetties, estuaries, summer and winter????????????????????????Respect to the lure boys, and hats off to the patient, sit on your ass bait soakers and pulsing livey watchers alike.Whats yer secrets..... NOT YEr secret spot ?What's your memories and how did you make em :)

amen.... sambo....jetties, fresh bait, knowing the right times to fish, and how to fish for them are the key.... ive only ever caught one jewie in the surf but thats my biggest at 21 lb.... (my 1st ever mully aswell)..... still plenty to learn/try things.... and always happy to learn more.. thats what maakes it so good to fish for mullies.. they keep comming back from more........

I only target them in 2 places really west lakes (all year round) and a metro beach and a few different beaches down south at the right time year, summer for schoolies and during winter normally get the bigger ones. estuaries = live bait all year round just a matter of playing the waiting game. surf = freshest bait possible big tides rough conditions finding the right gutter.

Going to spend alot of time this year really hitting them hard try to get into the port with the boat and give them a soild crackHit westlakes tonight braved the storm to no luck, thought we would have been in for a good chance tonight. In my opinion and fishing westlakes its just pure luck, cant put it down to a tide because its artifical unless someone can correct me on that, but if you know where to find the baitschools, your in with a chance.Will keep and eye on this thread.Im always keen for a mully fish if anyone heads out drop me a pm and i might swing down for a fish.Good work to jack your onto them these days, you put in a large amount of effort from what i have seen its payed off

Good idea for a topic Jack. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. :P I've been targeting them at St Kilda, West Lakes, North Haven Marina and the Outer Harbour Breakwall. No luck as yet, not even a run.I've been trying to use livebaits where possible but also using a lot of 115mm plastics. The new Squidgy Mongrels look awesome and I think they will work well for Mulloway.Hopefully I will get my first legal this year.

I find that whatever way you chose eg lure flicking , live bait or dead bait , just being prepared and be confidant that you WILL land that Mulloway . Going out half hearted can get you that Mully but if your not expecting it it's easier to miss out . Spend a bit of time watching an learning the area . The couple of recent trips in the Warpig has been a huge help in my Port river quest for a Mully , just being on the water , taking everything in an studying the environment that we fished , learning whats going on and i reckon next time i'm out i will have every thing prepared to land one . My first Mully came after a couple of learning trips in the Onk before i finally landed it .Once you figure out what is going on it's still not that easy . Even now tho i still have to be patient an it can take a few outings with every thing prepared before i land a Mully . But when you are in the right place an at the right time It can be full on crazy . Thats what brings me back for more punishment . Cheers heaps (again) Jack . Good luck .IMG_6662Medium.JPG

Going to spend alot of time this year really hitting them hard try to get into the port with the boat and give them a soild crackHit westlakes tonight braved the storm to no luck' date=' thought we would have been in for a good chance tonight. In my opinion and fishing westlakes its just pure luck, cant put it down to a tide because its artifical unless someone can correct me on that, but if you know where to find the baitschools, your in with a chance.Will keep and eye on this thread.Im always keen for a mully fish if anyone heads out drop me a pm and i might swing down for a fish.Good work to jack your onto them these days, you put in a large amount of effort from what i have seen its payed off[/quote']i've found the bait schools and never had any luck when i've fished for mullies. pretty sure ur right about the tides though i got 2 on a dodge.

I find that whatever way you chose eg lure flicking ' date=' live bait or dead bait , just being prepared and be confidant that you WILL land that Mulloway . Going out half hearted can get you that Mully but if your not expecting it it's easier to miss out . Spend a bit of time watching an learning the area . The couple of recent trips in the Warpig has been a huge help in my Port river quest for a Mully , just being on the water , taking everything in an studying the environment that we fished , learning whats going on and i reckon next time i'm out i will have every thing prepared to land one . My first Mully came after a couple of learning trips in the Onk before i finally landed it .Once you figure out what is going on it's still not that easy . Even now tho i still have to be patient an it can take a few outings with every thing prepared before i land a Mully . But when you are in the right place an at the right time It can be full on crazy . Thats what brings me back for more punishment . Cheers heaps (again) Jack . Good luck .[attachment=8703']IMG_6662Medium.JPG[/attachment]

the secret to mulloway fishing is persistence and an understanding wife/girlfriend

Dead right there mate. I told the mrs one night last week that i was gonna go for a fish after work.... got home at 730am the following day. I wasnt popular until i showed her the lute :laugh:
lol.... "one more cast, just one more cast, thats it..this is the last cast!!.... ok, one more cast" hahaha we've all paid that price ABF :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I like the learning, the learning the waiting, the exploring, the mateship and the structure (natural environment and fishing the man made monstrosities). We got a 78cm mulloway out the front of Penrice about 6weeks ago!! Would anyone eat a fish from here. For anyone that doesn't know, there is a trickle of florescent blue waste water from that chemical factory that runs into the Port River.. Great bream fishing, but man that water concerns me.Anyway, here's what I have learnt;-They love lures and I've caught loads while bream fishing certain areas. And I've noticed that if the.Bream are there, the little.schoolies are not. -Mulloway love gutters, little channels and droppoffs. Even if you are in an estuary and the.said gutter is only 2 meters deep :)-The buggers will eat anything. RECENTLY I finally became a believer in live shitties (I'm not.easily convinced lol).HERES how I bait...EVERY fish, squid or prawn on 6/0 hooks. One hook facing each way with maximum hook exposure. Always rig the bait head facing out.. The only exception would be.if.the.tide is substantial, I use the closest hook through the top lip and the bottom hook dangling free as a stinger.I used to love SNapper fishing more than anything. But I haven't had the time lately, and.you need.to be.a bit more flexible with time, cos waiting for good winds on a Saturday morning isa lost cause. Lol.The wonderful.thing about mulloway is they are so easily accessed in ALL weather.Recently we have had luck with livebaiting under floats in quite shallow water. This is pretty exciting cos the float takes off leaving a wake !!!! And the snapper brigade can't access these spots :P. Now my biggest mission is to succeed on a big estuary Jew and I believe that these big spots will see me hit the target from March onward into the cold. In a way, I'm now supremely confident in big winter success..... After all, I did get one to take a 31cm salmon trout at the end of last year!!!!!. 18 hours later another member on here got his memorable 68pounder (although neither me nor Mwilson know where each other fish... And that is way cool ;) ).To date though, I am still on a very steep learning curve with only really 4 schoolie spots (successfully) and two Big fish spots (no success yet :laugh:)I know youse have seen lots of my schoolies before, but here is my PB to date...101cm and with the date embedded, you can believe that I am still on my L plates when it comes to these fish :cheer: Good luck all. I've never met most of youse but love the passion we share and our understanding (at times :P) wife's and partners :)Posted Image

Little bit off topic but that is a killer looking fly fishnuts! Did you tie that one yourself? Bet they'd be fish magnets on lots of estuary species not just mullies.

Yeah mate tied and invented by me. I haven't found too many fish refuse it yet.Cheers Darren
That fly is so good that even J.W tried to copy it and I tried to swindle a free sample.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: and I dont even own a fly rod at this point in time. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I want to try and use it patternoster style on a dropper on the reds.

Using as many tools at your disposal is a must in my opinion and this thread proves it. That goes for many areas outside of mullies as many know only too well.Most of my early mulloway fishing was off beaches such as salt creek. I use a split rig with a three way swivel. Always leave my sinker trace longer than your hook trace. Prepare a few rigs for pillies, livies and a wire trace rig as well for night time. For me I still get mullies on wire trace but a ratio of about 2/1 mulloway bite the monofilament in preference to wire.Boating for mulloway is something new to me still and have plenty to learn. This is where other fisherman and these forums come in. Have an open mind to change, prepare for all scenarios and most of all as mentioned think positive!Good topic here...there more to this recreation than meets the eye. Much in fishing is based on luck but plenty is based on mentality and understanding.TB

when berkley released there range of power bait sp's some time back now a mate of mine told me i had to have a session with him chasin bream near the west lakes outlet, he's told me nearly a fish a cast :huh: :ohmy: hmmm, really ok what the heck.i went to sportfishing scene purchased a berkley dropshot, a shimano sienna 2500 and yatesy spooled it with some 2kg line, an assortment of sp's and jig heads were purchased and away we went within the first few cast we were into bream catching and releasing one after another with litterally a fish a cast and having such a light outfit this was my new best friend this sp fishing is mental.after chopping and changing colours around and finding that the colour pearl watermelon worked best my mate hooks into a stomper this thing is haulin arse, i'm like this has to be the bigget bream i have ever seen by a mile only to find out later it was a schoolie.after marvelling at his catch i had to ask what it was as i'd never seen a juvenile mulloway before so now my new found best friend the sp was capable of even greater things.several cast later more bream were caught and released then it was my turn to have one of these cracking fish give me grief i knew it wasnt a bream straight away as the initial run was so much faster and the drag buzzed 5 times faster then any previous bream run my mate instructed me in how to avoid the structure (the pilons under the train bridge which you cant access now :( ) and within a few minutes i'd snagged my first schoolie B) we caught 4 more that day and several others in different sessions i also landed my pb bream goin 42cm until i discovered S&H i hadn't attempted fishn with sp's again for at least 2-3 years as i had moved to buying a boat and chasing other species that's when i met Rickster and the bloke that renewed my energy to chase a legal mully and several outings later in each others tubs (Rick snaggin at leat 1 each time B) )i had cracked the code to gettn me self a legal that code being fish with the people in the know read there reports and eek out every little bit of info on them as you can cos what you read from one person might not work for another and can be as simple as the size hook your using i have photo's of my first schoolie and some bream but they were taken using the old school film camera which i will try and scan but here's my first legal Rickster helped me catch i kept this one as i'd never eaten one before but if and when i get another it will be photographed and released B)my1stlegal.JPGcheers 4THA

Little bit off topic but that is a killer looking fly fishnuts! Did you tie that one yourself? Bet they'd be fish magnets on lots of estuary species not just mullies.

Yeah mate tied and invented by me. I haven't found too many fish refuse it yet.Cheers Darren
That fly is so good that even J.W tried to copy it and I tried to swindle a free sample.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: and I dont even own a fly rod at this point in time. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I want to try and use it patternoster style on a dropper on the reds.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I have to watch that little Kiwi sheep shagger he's always rummaging through my flyboxes. I just give him the ones with poo on them so he doesn't catch anything with them :laugh::laugh::laugh: The Snapper like them aswell but I haven't scored one over 3kgs with them yet but I'll keep trying.Cheers Darren

Hi boys, caught my first jewie in the port( now I'm trying to think) over 20 yrs ago as a young lad fishing for bream with the old bloke.After this I got my boat license and fished this same spot consistently with good results over the years catching all my fish on live baits with 1 fish caught on a hard body ( the old bomber long a).I heard this fish hunting the surface from the other side of the river , slowly making it's way over to us.Biggest fish in this spot went 8 kg, with most around or just under legal.Best session ever was just after a big tropical front moved over us from the north with me mate Darren and I looking at eachother saying 'we should get the f... Out of here' . We were catching live bait with the boat swinging on anchor wildly from side to side. 20 mins later she dropped off and the port went into that still quiet mode. All I could here was the power lines buzzing overhead ( now there's a clue).Each of our 20 mullet got absolutely smashed as the tide slowed.no need to put down your rod that day, just hold on and wait.we only landed two fish, that 8 kg one I spoke about earlier and a smaller model about 6 kg.my mate Darren got busted off or missed the strike on every one of his 10 baits.Since those early days ( that's when an Abu 7000 was state of the art equipment )I moved my focus to the big winter mullies in the main river. It's taken me about 8 years to gather the information on when where and how ,and I reckon we got onto one A few years ago . Since then I've refined my search even more and now am confident I know how and where to get that 50 pounder.we got a few fish last year with the biggest at 10 kg.This years the year.Tried my old mully spot last week, 14 baits( and the first time I've fished with shitties) . Had a great session with every bait smashed with 3 fish landed, 1 under , 2 just legal.they were so hungry we hot the last legal on a dead bait. The port lives.