Sharks - Should they be hunted down?

Hi All,Having been following the recent Shark attacks in Western Australia I am a little appalled at the decision made recently by the Western Australian Government. It seems that the approval has been given to hunt down and kill a suspected 3 meter Great White that mauled and killed an American Diver off Rottnest Island a few days ago. And also, that they are considering a 'Shark Cull' as well as increasing the take for Commercial Fishers. As far as I am aware, the Great White Shark is protected. I know my views but I am curious as to what others think of these recent decisions made by the WA Government.Cheers,B214

Well Said B214 & SamboThis is govt knee jerk reaction at its best! "Something needs to be done, this is something, therefore we will do it!" Puts me in mind of a certain movie from the 70s. Masses of boats heading offshore to catch a shark. How do you know if you get the same one that took that poor diver? Wahoo

The attack rate being so far above average should call for a re-evaluation in my opinion but not immediate action. Might be due to this attack being at such a touristy destination that fast action has been made to hunt it. I doubt theyll end up killing a shark over it though, they'll give up after a couple of days perhaps (just a guess), theres just no way to tell what shark is guilty so its a fruitless exercise. Is the area heavily fished by commercial/rec fisherpeople? Is there a lack of food for sharks causing them to take more people? or is it related to breeding grounds/season? These should be the first things to consider not "lets find and kill a shark"

There is regularly big Samspon fish nearby to Rottnest, and schools of big Snapper that spawn in nearby Coburn Sound starting at this time of the year. People that dive off Rottnest island should know this, or atleast be made aware of this!If your crazy enough to dive there you should know there is a chance of being the next meal.I have dived off the back of Garden Island coburn sound and looking back at it now, I must have been totally bonkers.But at the time I was 20years old and feeling invincible.CRAZY TIMES.Knee jerk reaction for sure. Let em swim and leave them PROTECTED. Its THEIR OCEAN!~

The attack rate being so far above average should call for a re-evaluation in my opinion but not immediate action. Might be due to this attack being at such a touristy destination that fast action has been made to hunt it. I doubt theyll end up killing a shark over it though' date=' they'll give up after a couple of days perhaps (just a guess), theres just no way to tell what shark is guilty so its a fruitless exercise. Is the area heavily fished by commercial/rec fisherpeople? Is there a lack of food for sharks causing them to take more people? or is it related to breeding grounds/season? These should be the first things to consider not "lets find and kill a shark"[/quote']Agreed.If their normal food sources are in short supply for whatever reason, and there's every chance it's been caused by humans, what else are they going to eat :huh:To turn around and hunt it because it "dared" killed a human just goes to show the mind set of some :( Apart from that I suspect humans are probably a pretty "normal" and natural poitential food source anyway. That may sound cruel, but thats nature at work :whistle:
Spearfishing alone 500 meters offshore' date='near a seal colony,on an overcast day,during the annual whale migration = Darwin Award nomination. :ohmy:[/quote'] When i bodyboarded yorkes, i would not go out on " Double Grey days" overcast and dark murky water.... even a few times when it was 6ft and perfect, just had a feeling something was not right. we used to surf remote spots, attack would = death...Sambo

Interview with shrk expert Barry Bruce after the cottelsoe attack in oct.http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/10/21/3345732.htm?site=hobartIn it he said a GW shark travels about 70km a day so if it attacked a person its very unlikely that it would be anywheere near where the attack occurred even after one day. needle in a haystack........

G'day peeps,I've said this on previous threads about the same situation, YES shark habits are changing and anyone that wants to deny this is a walking/swimming appetiser for these great predators...The ban that came in for pointers all those years ago has worked - there are more pointers around now than there has been since before pro fishing started for then in the 40's.....Problem now being lots more people/boats/tourism/food all targeting and attracting these fish.....I have had a lot of experience with these fish and they are a fast learner - probably why they are at the top of the food chain - I think the biggest problem is that people are teaching them where there is humans - boats/noise/ etc. there is a free feed - for example we have tourist boats that go to the same place and burley for these things for a tourist to jump into a cage and take pictures - although the shark doesnt think that way - all it knows is boat noise = food! (sort of like the pavlovs dog theory) - and at times these boats will have 4 to 6 big sharks around the boat......So lets keep it local - one trader burleys around north and south neptune island which as the crow flies is not far away - so on a day when a pointer goes for a cruise can be over here in the gulf in a day ----- same thing though ----- boat noise = food! but this time its mr. and mrs. angler in their 16 foot bellboy sitting a few miles off wirinna minding their own business - or worse a bunch of youngn's wakeboarding off henley! Lots of people here too when they see a pointer will throw food in to get that extra photo or extra minute of video - and that just makes the problem worse - although they are oblivious to what they are doing.....I am a little passionate about this issue, the latest one of my friends was killed only early this year as he came up next to his ab boat and I have lost a few friends over the years - and I still work the ocean yearly and have been in situations recently where the sharks habits were so different I am lucky to still be here....All that said, I still think culling isnt the go, let's stop feeding them first and maybe put them back in their natural state where they dont mix with humans on such a regular basis - let's try that first before we start wiping out such a magnificent machine.....remeber - these fish travel fast and a trip up or down the coast for a thousand k's is just a regular thing for them - throw in the fact that a lot of them now associate boat noise with a feed???? well, its time to be a little more careful....Let's stop feeding them...Cheers...

G'day peeps' date='I've said this on previous threads about the same situation, YES shark habits are changing and anyone that wants to deny this is a walking/swimming appetiser for these great predators...The ban that came in for pointers all those years ago has worked - there are more pointers around now than there has been since before pro fishing started for then in the 40's.....Problem now being lots more people/boats/tourism/food all targeting and attracting these fish.....I have had a lot of experience with these fish and they are a fast learner - probably why they are at the top of the food chain - I think the biggest problem is that people are teaching them where there is humans - boats/noise/ etc. there is a free feed - for example we have tourist boats that go to the same place and burley for these things for a tourist to jump into a cage and take pictures - although the shark doesnt think that way - all it knows is boat noise = food! (sort of like the pavlovs dog theory) - and at times these boats will have 4 to 6 big sharks around the boat......So lets keep it local - one trader burleys around north and south neptune island which as the crow flies is not far away - so on a day when a pointer goes for a cruise can be over here in the gulf in a day ----- same thing though ----- boat noise = food! but this time its mr. and mrs. angler in their 16 foot bellboy sitting a few miles off wirinna minding their own business - or worse a bunch of youngn's wakeboarding off henley! Lots of people here too when they see a pointer will throw food in to get that extra photo or extra minute of video - and that just makes the problem worse - although they are oblivious to what they are doing.....I am a little passionate about this issue, the latest one of my friends was killed only early this year as he came up next to his ab boat and I have lost a few friends over the years - and I still work the ocean yearly and have been in situations recently where the sharks habits were so different I am lucky to still be here....All that said, I still think culling isnt the go, let's stop feeding them first and maybe put them back in their natural state where they dont mix with humans on such a regular basis - let's try that first before we start wiping out such a magnificent machine.....remeber - these fish travel fast and a trip up or down the coast for a thousand k's is just a regular thing for them - throw in the fact that a lot of them now associate boat noise with a feed???? well, its time to be a little more careful....Let's stop feeding them...Cheers...[/quote']Well said. Couldn't agree more. I originally come from Pt Lincoln, home of the Great White Shark, lol and it's just common sense down there that if you get into the water, especially around certain areas at certain times of the year you have to be careful. There's no call to go slaughtering these awesome creatures for any reason, let alone because someone got attacked in it's home turf.

you want to swim/surf in the ocean take the consequences of being attacked or eaten there home not ours! :sh

Your right Jewie.I often go the the resteraunt for a nice cut of sirloin steak.But, You dont see cows rocking up for a beer or a feed in my resteraunt and risking themselves being chopped up by the chef! They seem to be a lot smarter than that.If you dont want to be knawed to death dont swim in the oggen (ocean).LOL :cheer: ;)

we could also slap about on the water violently in black rubber wetsuits (whilst out snapper fishing) that make us look like baby seals, in an attemp to let them know that we are not happy with the recents attacks and we will no longer tolerate there dis-respectfull behaviour..haha :laugh:Did I say steak!And Nanman, did you mention bourbon!When sharks attack on streets. Isnt that a new game thats coming out.

Maybe could just shoot a bit of its fin off so it gets the message :laugh: haha na only joking but i do think if numbers increase too much then something will have to be done.Watching a documentary on foxtel about bears coming too close to human camping grounds in amercian national parks.......The ranger set big dogs after the bear and as it was running away he shot it in the ass with a shotgun and rubber pellets! The intention was to absolutely terrify the bear so it never came near humans again. I reckon it would've worked too!

Only in America could they think shooting a bear in the arse as a viable solution.You wouldn't like him when he's angry! :laugh:Posted ImageI guess their bear issue is similar in a way to our shark issue. Just like our sharks are coming to associate boats and the tourist industry with a feed, the bears have learnt that people equals a free feed, with all the idiots leaving their rubbish laying around.

G'day peeps' date='I've said this on previous threads about the same situation' date=' YES shark habits are changing and anyone that wants to deny this is a walking/swimming appetiser for these great predators...The ban that came in for pointers all those years ago has worked - there are more pointers around now than there has been since before pro fishing started for then in the 40's.....Problem now being lots more people/boats/tourism/food all targeting and attracting these fish.....I have had a lot of experience with these fish and they are a fast learner - probably why they are at the top of the food chain - I think the biggest problem is that people are teaching them where there is humans - boats/noise/ etc. there is a free feed - for example we have tourist boats that go to the same place and burley for these things for a tourist to jump into a cage and take pictures - although the shark doesnt think that way - all it knows is boat noise = food! (sort of like the pavlovs dog theory) - and at times these boats will have 4 to 6 big sharks around the boat......So lets keep it local - one trader burleys around north and south neptune island which as the crow flies is not far away - so on a day when a pointer goes for a cruise can be over here in the gulf in a day ----- same thing though ----- boat noise = food! but this time its mr. and mrs. angler in their 16 foot bellboy sitting a few miles off wirinna minding their own business - or worse a bunch of youngn's wakeboarding off henley! Lots of people here too when they see a pointer will throw food in to get that extra photo or extra minute of video - and that just makes the problem worse - although they are oblivious to what they are doing.....I am a little passionate about this issue, the latest one of my friends was killed only early this year as he came up next to his ab boat and I have lost a few friends over the years - and I still work the ocean yearly and have been in situations recently where the sharks habits were so different I am lucky to still be here....All that said, I still think culling isnt the go, let's stop feeding them first and maybe put them back in their natural state where they dont mix with humans on such a regular basis - let's try that first before we start wiping out such a magnificent machine.....remeber - these fish travel fast and a trip up or down the coast for a thousand k's is just a regular thing for them - throw in the fact that a lot of them now associate boat noise with a feed???? well, its time to be a little more careful....Let's stop feeding them...Cheers...[/quote'']Well said. Couldn't agree more. I originally come from Pt Lincoln, home of the Great White Shark, lol and it's just common sense down there that if you get into the water, especially around certain areas at certain times of the year you have to be careful. There's no call to go slaughtering these awesome creatures for any reason, let alone because someone got attacked in it's home turf.
Gday U4L,yeh I lived over there for 20 years myself - cut my teeth (no pun intended) on pointers over there and learned a lot about their habits - I have no reservations in jumping in with one as long as i am on scuba - they are actually a very placid fish! (as the old saying goes - its the one you dont see that gets you)....But if you know what to listen for you hear them before you see them (they grind their teeth) no other shark does it - I'm still blown away even though Lincoln is the pointer capital - no one has been taken in boston bay! Seen plenty in there - even one cruising the town jetty - just lucky so far I guess... anyway the certain area at certain time thing is changing - thats the problem....and a lot of people are getting caught out - old pros and people that share the ocean with them and know their habits are scratching their heads or worse - its a whole new ballgame....The new thing I have noticed is that they dont think twice about coming up to a boat - when in the past they did...And we trained them to do that! So culling them for something we taught them to do??? lol... rediculous....stop feeding them for our gain and they will quickly go back to being invisible or at least - rarely seen...Cheers..

Its simply media beat up, something that always happens after a couple of close attacks. They gotta sell papers and get viewers and such a debate is sure to get the blood flowing from both sides. Remember when Jevan was killed at Blacks the day after the kiwi fella at caves, two locations pretty far apart and the media jumped on board by saying it was the same "man eating" shark. This was impossible. The cull call was made straight after and a few people even went hunting around the bay there to no avail.Personally i think us berleying up the water and bobbing around in cages in blood soaked water is helping put us on the food chain.If we were not on the food chain before we are not far now. Surfers and divers know what risk they are taking and they choose to take it, and i am yet to hear a person of either sport be an advocate for any type of cull.

I just got back from WA late last night(plane was late and landed 2 minutes before the curfew) and the media is full of it and we sort of got the impression the govt was being pressured into taking some sort of action and this was the best they could come up with.I had to bite my tongue a few times when listening to the locals talking as some felt it was the same shark doing all the attacks, some people have strange ideas and try to humanize animals. Sharks are sharks if they are hungry they eat, they certainly do not think yeah Im going to have human tonight.Anyway after touring the coastline I can see why its a pointer paradise, reefs and islands everywhere.Spent a day at Margaret River watching surfers, windsurfers and kite riders do their thing in the waves and it didnt seem to put any of them off entering the water, in the background out to sea a wee bit there was a whale broaching and sending huge volumes of water into the air, a truly amazing sight. cheerssnapps

Nothing against sharks, great to see and catch, if one ate a family member of mine though I reckon I'd be out there with the bang sticks looking for revenge too!Yes its their home, etc....but how many of our kids love swimming at the beach???????? and splashing around in the water!!!!!!!!!!! its an aussie tradition and has done none of us any harm...but imagine how you'd feel if a fish ate ya family!!!!!!!!!!